Is there some kind of steering assist for old boats??

sforrest

Cadet
I have a 79 Marquis with the 3.0 Ltr 140 hp in it. Now this boat never came with power steering, and at low speeds is an arm full for the wife its tuff...Is there some kind of steering assist they make for these old boats or could i adapt power steering into it from another boat possible?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Is there a some kind of steering assist for old boats??

you can try trimming it in a bit so the drive sits on the trim pin and not the trim rams, other than that the only thing you can do is add power steering or eat your vegtables :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What kind of outdrive, does it steer hard in both directions? Does it steer easily in neutral with the engine not running?
It may not be a need for power assist as fixing the real problem with the steering.

sforrest

Cadet

Its a pre alpha out drive,and i am most possitive that the boat never came with power steering ! But to anwser your questions the boat has a new steering cable last year, and steers very easily sitting still running or not, but once you start out moving trimmed up or down is when she gets pritty hard to steer. Even when its flat out going 30 mph its easier but not one finger easy like boats with power steering that i have driven.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It would probably be Cheaper to go full Hyd. steering, than re-engineering/ retrofitting cable P/Steering...

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have no idea what this set up looks like but a thought came to mind. Since it came from the manufacturer without power assist, is it possible that the steering wheel had been replaced at one time and a smaller diameter wheel installed? Also on the steering arm, are there a few holes where the steering can be attached, like an outboard? If so, moving the steering attach point out as far as possible to the last hole will result in less effort but require more steering wheel movement. If that is possible, make sure the drive will still go to full deflection left and right and is not restricted by the steering travel limitations of the cable.
Just a thought, could be a simple fix.
Was a time when power steering was optional on cars so the steering wheels were big, power steering or not. When the majority of the cars had power steering, the size of the wheel was reduced to make the interior more roomy so if you did not have power you still had the same smaller diameter wheel. regards FRED

sforrest

Cadet

Thanks, i will go and check the steering arm idea first.Then i may increase the size of the steering wheel an inch or two just cause the wheel in it is ugly as sin any ways. lol, thanks again guys for the info.

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

..... It would probably be Cheaper to go full Hyd. steering, than re-engineering/ retrofitting cable P/Steering...
If no other issues are found, Ditto!
Hydraulic steerinig system + larger helm wheel maybe????