Storing an extra lower unit

jnb68

Cadet
I have an extra lower unit for my 1979 15 hp Evinrude. I am using the drive shaft and shift rod. I am going to keep it for parts and want to know how to store it. Should I keep oil in it and keep it up right? Should I buy a threaded rod to put where the shift rod goes so I can keep everything in place. What about the opening for the drive shaft? Should I drain it or is that bad for the seals? My plan was to insert a threaded rod where the shifter goes and leave oil in it and keep it upright. Any advise would be great. Thanks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Storing an extra lower unit

The main thing is to keep it in a dry place. Keeping it full of oil and sitting upright would be good. No need to put any threaded rods in place, because the threads could form groves in the seal over time.:cool:

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Storing an extra lower unit

The main thing is to keep it in a dry place. Keeping it full of oil and sitting upright would be good. No need to put any threaded rods in place, because the threads could form groves in the seal over time.:cool:

Agree 100%.........I would add that you may want to cover it with a clean rag to keep stuff out of the drivshaft hole.