Gill/ OB transom brackets... Yes or No?

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the process of re-building my transom, and I have this crazy idea that I can't get out of my head. I want to either make or purchase an 18 inch outboard setback bracket so that I can raise the height of my transom and increase speed/ fuel economy. The boat is just over 19 feet long, so I know that it is on the smaller side in terms of candidates for this conversion, but I'm interested to hear whether people think that this is a good or a bad idea. If its a good idea, should I make it myself or save up and buy it pre-made?

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Gill/ OB transom brackets... Yes or No?

Is the boat already an outboard? How much will moving the outboard back change the center of gravity of the boat?

You can make it yourself or buy it... note that you have to be careful to make it yourself, the bracket handles a lot of stress and force.

If all you want to do is raise the engine, how about a jack plate?

Erik

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

18" :eek:

It is going to require allot of bracing to compensate for the outboard to be hanging that far out.

Steering set up will have to be changed.....

Control cables will have to be changed......

I laughed when I read the words "increase speed/ fuel economy" ....... you will never re-coup your investment and if you can go faster ....... you will burn more fuel.

How much speed are you expecting to gain? I doubt it will be very different .......

You want more speed? Add bigger power.

I think you will be creating a Frankenstein and will only spend lots of money.

Bad idea.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha... I like the Frankenstein comment! You are probably right that it not a great idea, but I just want to make sure, because if I am going to do it, I would rather do it before the rest of the body work.

Its set up as an outboard right now, with a 1997 100HP oil injected Mercury. I'm not thinking that I would save a whole lot of money long term in gas but it only has a 40 gallon tank and I want to be able to take it on some pretty long trips so it might give me a little extra range with the current tank. In terms of materials, I can pick up most of what I need from the company that I work for and it will cost me next to nothing if I work with scrap.

One of the real bonuses would be that I could get rid of my splash well altogether and have a nice "hole free" transom. The way the back of the boat is set up now, water will get into the splash well and slosh around which in turn keeps the deck wet and makes a mess. If that were full height I could put in a nice access hatch for the build and some more built in storage... Also, I have heard that moving the motor back into that smoother water will improve handling? Here's an early sketch that I did of a possible conversion:

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx59/Radnar3/mockup1.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, - Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

haaaa i've seen that sketch b4
what is going to hold the bracket onto the transom... thats alot of lbs hanging off there

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha, yeah I think I accidentally posted that when I first modeled it up a week or so ago... I was thinking that I would make the core of the bracket out of 8 gauge stainless with a corresponding plate on the inside of the transom. There would be (8) 3/8" SST through bolts holding it on as well as a wet coat of glass behind the bracket. I would probably have to reinforce the transom so I would add a few knee braces....