81 Johnson 15 hp on a 14 ft tin boat.

hdodt

Seaman
I have an '81 Johnson 15 hp short shaft on a 14' tin boat. I took it out this weekend after I finally got the engine running good. Tons of power. Its kinda scary how fast it is when its just me in the boat. Two questions I have.

1. The bow rises a ton with this motor. I have the tilt all the way forward angeling the prop as far up as It will go. Any other suggestions on keeping the bow down besides adding weight to the bow?

2. When I am in a sharp turn at high speeds the motor will cavitate. I have a 17 1/2" transom height. Do you think this is the cause for this? It wouldn't be hard to lower the transom just by cutting some of the ply wood away.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks...D

kbait

Commander
Re: 81 Johnson 15 hp on a 14 ft tin boat.

Is the bottom of the boat toward the rear bent or dented? That could definitely cause your problem.

If it's a really lightweight boat, rated for no more than 15hp, you may have to add weight to the front. Fuel tank and anchor, battery... I used to have to throw an old truck tire and rim in the front of a jon boat to solve that issue.. or bring a friend.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 81 Johnson 15 hp on a 14 ft tin boat.

give use a picture of the motor relation to transom. as far as bow rise, weight to the bow. lengthen fuel hose. battery, anything you can get weight in the bow. Big wet shaggy dog.

i installed stick steering and controls on my 14' with a 15hp rude. ended up being one of the best boats i ever owned.