25 HP 4 Stroke Suzuki...

kansasrockchalk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I recently purchased my first boat that was equipped with a 25HP 4 stroke Suzuki (yr 2000, if that matters). Basically, the boat weighs about 1000 pounds (Smokercraft Pro Mag 162) empty and the motor is way under powered for the boat which is something I hope to remedy next season. Apparently it was used on a lake in Massachusetts that only allowed 25HP motors on. Anyway, to my question...top end speed with only me in the boat is roughly 15mph, with my kids and me that drops to about 10-11. Is there anything I can do that would improve this, and possibly get the boat to plane? Like I said, I know the engine is underpowered, but cannot afford an outboard swap at this point.

The engine has only 100 hours on it, so it is in great condition, maybe it's worth more then I think and a swap is more realistic, what are your thoughts?

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 25 HP 4 Stroke Suzuki...

That boat is probably rated at 90hp, so it is way underpowered with a 25.
If it set up for 6 years are you sure it is running at its full potential?
And you may check on the prop to see what size it is and check the WOT RPM of the motor to see if it is getting to rated RPM.
Motors are worth only what someone is willing to pay for one, depending on have bad they want it. You may find someone with one you need and see what they are willing to trade.

My brother has a 16 ft flat bottom and the 25 he has will push it loaded without a problem. He even pulled his kids with it water skiing, but there is a big difference between a flat bottom and a V.

kansasrockchalk

Seaman Apprentice

It is rated to a 90 which I hope to put on it, or at least a 75 at a minimum in the near future.

Appreciate your response, how can I test most of the things you have listed? Excuse the ignorance.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

have you done anything to the motor since you got it?
Sitting for 6 years will gum up a lot of the fuel system, so you may want someone to check it out to make sure you are not running lean and damaging the motor.There are regular maintenance items that should be done to the motor also. water pump, filters, oil, gear lube,etc.

See if you can get a owners manual for you motor it will list the recommended maint items and frequency,and a service manual will help you decide if you want to do the maintenance yourself or take it to someone with the knowledge, tools, and equipment.
A tach is needed to check WOT RPMs