Generator in 88 Sea Ray 300DA

Speakrdude

Ensign
Couldn't find a suitable area for this topic so I thought I would throw it in with the Engine sextion of this boat.
Anyway, I purxhased my second 88 Sea Ray 300 DA, (this one has Alpha drives). I knew when I bought it the genset was seived. We pulled it out yesterday and come to find out its a little diesel!
It appears that the top=end has had sea watersitting where the Heat/exchanger meets the exhaust post and worked its way back up into the head, thereby rusting the top end.

My question is, What is this? I think it could be an Onan/Cummngs. It is a single cylinder/water cooled/4~5KW. Are gaskets and parts readily available?
Any leads would help.

Thanks,
JIm

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Generator in 88 Sea Ray 300DA

Ayuh,... The should be a tag, or stampings to ID the motor...
Once Id'ed, parts should be little to No problem...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Did you try calling Next Generation Power in Jacksonville?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Several bells going off at same time here. Does that tag say 60 HZ at 3600?
If so it looks like the engine is almost at that speed? I can see the pully on the engine looks a bit larger so maybe the motor runs at 3000? If so you will need to anchor about a mile from where people sleep. last thing that hits me is the mix of Gas engines and diesel. They dont do well unless the unit is set up with the proper spark arrest systems. Was it a self installed system or did searay do it?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

last thing that hits me is the mix of Gas engines and diesel. They dont do well unless the unit is set up with the proper spark arrest systems.
That's exactly what I was thinking, too. Be careful with this mix because diesel gensets are not normally ignition protected.

as it a self installed system or did searay do it?
I can almost guarantee you it's not factory installed.

Speakrdude

Ensign

I have no idea if factory installed or not, however, on the archived specs, they DO option a gas or Diesel Gen Set.

It looks like this engine is a Kubota EA-300. More than likely, will be siezed beyond repair. That being siad, this would be an easy swap over to a gasser. Any recommendations on a (preferably used) engine that might bolt up to the Generator?
Jim