1989 Evinrude 40 not pumping water

OK i just bought this motor and I am not a rocket scientist. The motor has sat for 3 years so I replaced the water pump all the hoses and dropped the VRO for a gas only pump# 0438559. I cranked it but no water is coming out. I removed the thermostat then tried to blow in the telltale. I can't blow in this hole...should it be clear?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 40 not pumping water

Did you actually run it on muffs when you finished the job ??? did it start O.K. ?
Did you check the head temperature when running on the muffs ?? Count of 3 before yo have to take your hand off is a good guideline. Did it pour warm water out of the exhaust when running ??
Could be that the tell tale tube is blocked with spiders or other insects and bugs. Take a length of weed whacker line and see if it is clear or not.
Welcome to iboats.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The telltale should be clear or no water will come out, probably the problem and i'm assuming cranked it means ran it, cranked it means you tried starting it without running, at least in my books. The telltale is before the stat, it will still pump water even if the telltale is blocked.

Welcome to iboats!

I ran it for one minute then cut it off. I will try to disconnect the hose tomorrow and see if that gives me any answers. It just looked hard to disconnect which is why I asked if I should be able to blow through this line with the thermostat out.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You should be able to with the stat in, chances are its plugged.