1972 Larson Project

cichlid56175

Cadet
I am picking up a 1972 Larson All America this week.
It needs a new deck toward the bow, I will replace it all.
Question . I puled up some of the plywood and the stringers appear to be wrapped in fiberglass. I can see no wood at all.

They are at least 8" in width and 8" high from the hull.
They are also very solid.
Did larson construt some of thier earlier boats this way ?
It appears a very easy fix.
Any comments ?
Am I missing something? I hear these older Larson are well built ???
Thanks

Attachments

• larson3.jpg
    larson3.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
  • larson.jpg
    larson.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • larson2.jpg
    larson2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0

zach103

Commander
Re: 1972 Larson Project

I am picking up a 1972 Larson All America this week.
It needs a new deck toward the bow, I will replace it all.
Question . I puled up some of the plywood and the stringers appear to be wrapped in fiberglass. I can see no wood at all.

They are at least 8" in width and 8" high from the hull.
They are also very solid.
Did larson construt some of thier earlier boats this way ?
It appears a very easy fix.
Any comments ?
Am I missing something? I hear these older Larson are well built ???
Thanks

take small drill bit into it and se what comes out .. make sure that theres no rotted wood in there.. get some interior pics

Ironpig

Seaman

Hi,
Welcome to the Larson family. The stringers could be (like mine) basically fiberglass sides filled with foam and a 1x10 on the top glassed over. I thought they were very weird but seem to do the trick. I am currently replacing mine as well. I am using 1x10 western red cedar that I had milled. I am going to epoxy the cedar before it goes back in and then refill with 2 part foam. When i took the old foam out it was water logged and I pulled about 600 pounds of soaked foam out. I am also going to pull the top off and redo the transom while I have it apart. I am thinking of putting twin 65's on it when its finished but we'll see.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey i'm working on a 67 all-american and have questions regarding rebuilding the stringers.They are most likely what others described fiberglass shells with foam core and a 1X10 of fir on the top.

I am looking for suggestions on how to build these? I have my ground down to the hull.Let me know if you need any tips as i am working on a similiar boat

Thanks

Ironpig

Seaman

What are you guys doing with the side pieces that run down the inside. The trim on mine is broken so i was going to redo them at 9 inches wide and carpet the sides and install some rod holders. Any other ideas?