Rectifier 1998 Mercury 8 HP

River7471

Recruit
Is it possible to add battery charging ability to this year motor that has no alternator, etc.

Someone at a boat shop mentioned a rectifier. I don't even know what a rectifier does. Does marine engines this size not use alternators? I thought alternators were for charging.

Two stroke
Part number 37-855211 3
209cc (I think)

Thanks,

S. Rost

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Rectifier 1998 Mercury 8 HP

You would need the proper stator (has additional coils that act as an alternator) and rectifier. I know they make them for a 9.9 but not sure about an 8 HP.

River7471

Recruit

You would need the proper stator (has additional coils that act as an alternator) and rectifier. I know they make them for a 9.9 but not sure about an 8 HP.

Thanks. I thought I saw one guy on the internet say that the 9.9 and the 8 is the same motor that year.

??:cool:

emckelvy

Commander

What you're looking for is called "Stator Auxiliary" or the auxiliary stator. It's an add-on to the existing stator. Along with this stator are longer bolts needed to mount it to the existing stator. Which does require you to remove the flywheel to gain access.

Besides that you'll also need the rectifier/regulator that goes with the setup. Rectifier mounting plate, screws, wiring harness, etc etc.

These parts should be avail from the Merc dlr but won't be cheap. I looked up one stator which, at $165, was more expensive than the stator that runs the ignition! The rectifier/regulator runs around $82.

A few good places besides the iBoats Store to look up parts are www.boats.net www.crowleymarine.com and www.boatfix.com

Lotsa good diagrams at the following site, you'll need your serial # to get to the correct diagram for your motor:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=8

Note if you scrounge around, you likely can find the parts a lot cheaper than dlr price (except maybe the stator, don't know if there are any aftermarket ones avail).

eBay is an excellent place to look for parts; for example, any generic Merc rectifier/regulator could be made to work with this setup, and can usually be found for under $50 (or cheaper for used). You can make up your own mounting bracket and external wiring harness if you're handy.

HTH & Happy Parts Hunting........ed

River7471

Recruit

Thanks a lot! This is exactly the information I was looking for. :cool: