Alpha 1 Drive Using Oil

firminator_x

Cadet
Hi,
I just picked up a 2003 Sea Ray 176. It has the Merc 3.0l with an Alpha 1 drive.

I noticed after using the boat for 6 hours yesterday that the gear oil for the drive was down a bit. I can't imagine that is normal.

Just looking for thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha 1 Drive Using Oil

Could be a bad oring by the u joints leting oil into the bellows.

glennwolf

Seaman

Drain the oil. If there is any water it is the lower shaft seal. If not it is probably the input shaft seal. Pressure check the the drive to check for sure that your have a leak and did not just have low oil to start with.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the outdrive and check for gear lube in the bellows.
If the bellows is dry, then drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive. Especially check around the shift shaft. Very common place for the Alpha I Gen II outdrives to leak.

Bondo

Staff member

I just picked up a
I noticed after using the boat for 6 hours yesterday that the gear oil for the drive was down a bit. I can't imagine that is normal.

Ayuh,... Define "a bit".... What are the timings of the oil level checks,..??

I'd unscrew the drain screw with the drive 1/2 way up or so,+ Look for Water....
If all I got was Oil,...
I'd just keep an eye on the oil level for a few more hours....

'ell,... Maybe the feed tube burped from it's last service or somethig,...
No need to waste a $6. gasket set, just Yet....
Especially if it ain't leakin' in the driveway...

Wander up to the Adults Only section of this forum,...
You'll find a Gold Mine of Info there, including the factory manuals for your motor,+ drive....

firminator_x

Cadet

A bit = when I checked it before I went out on the lake it was a touch over (maybe 1/4") the add line on the reservoir.

Later that night (after running the boat for 5 hours) it was probably 1/4 inch below the add line.

Don S

Was the gear lube changed in the drive since the last time you used it? If so, you may have had an air bubble in the drive that went away during your run. Mark the level and run it again and see if it drops some more. If it does, then you have a leak.

firminator_x

Cadet

Will Do.

This was my first time out on the boat. I bought it used and checked all the fluids before going out on the water.

The guy I bought it from said he had yet to change the fluids this year.

Don S

Then you have a leak, pull the drive and look.

presley2

Cadet

I believe you may not necessary have a real failure. A half inch of fluctuation in the gear lube monitor may not indicate a problem.
1) It is not abnormal for the gear lube level in the monitor to change levels due to temperature changes especially with only a half inch of overall movement.
My guess is you checked the level before you left with the boat. The boat was maybe out of the water and the sun blazing down on that black MerCruiser sterndrive and then checked it again after you brought the boat in and maybe the boat was still in the water. With hot lube the level will increase and cold lube the level will decrease. The 3.0L engine will not place large loads on this drive either so I would not expect a lot of heat in the lube due to operation of the boat.

2) You may have some air in the gear lube monitor line that worked its way up to the monitor this is normal after a gear lube change. Air in the line happens to most people when they change the lube unless you know the tricks to avoid it.

I am a certified MerCruiser tech and if this was my boat I would not start pulling the drive and changing lube. Even if you drained the lube you may not know what to look for or how to refill it properly. Really, if you suspect a leak the drive should be properly pressure tested and that requires a tester and the knowledge of use.

Do this:
1) Inspect the lube if it is the proper lube it should be a dark bluish green color. Check it at the monitor.
2) See if the gear lube level comes back up if you have the drive in similar conditions as you did when you checked the lube level the first time. (Example sun on drive and same air temp.)
3) If the level does not come back up fill the monitor to the operation line or Full line and enjoy your boat BUT keep a close eye on the lube level in the monitor. The level may move around a bit but you should not really loose lube because this is a closed system. If you have to keep adding lube and get to the point that you have added a half of quart (16 ounces) or more then you most likely have a leak.
4) Fell along the monitor hose for leaks (See if it is oily). Tilt the dive up and fell the lower housing for leaks or an oily fell. Have the drive over a surface that would show a leak if the lube dripped. (Example over clean concrete or a clean piece of plywood under the drive.) Note the drive could have a leak that is not visible externally.
5) If you go through items 1-4 you should have a good idea if the drive is truly leaking or not. If it is leaking do yourself a favor. Get it fixed by someone who knows what they are dong not you neighbors brother who sometimes fixes his own car ok. Find a good experienced, certified, professional and remember you get what you pay for don?t be cheap. If you are out in the middle of the lake do you really want to trust the repair to the guy you beat up over price.

This is what I would tell my customers hopefully this is helpful to you. Good Luck.

P.S. I caught your other post. A small amount of engine oil on the valve cover by the PCV hose which is what you are talking about is normal.

firminator_x

Cadet

Thank you all for your input.

I have the boat at the dealer for an annual check and service. I spoke with one of the techs at the shop and was told essentially what presley2 said about both of my issues. They are going to check everything out anyway.

I'll let you all know how it the boat checks out.

Don S

I told you the same thing. Guess I should have said I'm a certified tech too. and typed out a few hundred extra words then you would have believed me.

firminator_x

Cadet

Don,
like I said, I appreciate everyone's input and there
is a chance that I might have a leak. I'm just trying
to share information that I am finding out. Isn't that the
purpose of this forum? To share information? it's not a matter
of who is right or who is wrong.