Boating Class

Gfriedman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone recommend a good boating class.

I have been lake boating my entire life, but am going to be making the steps from a lake boat to an ocean boat this summer.

I know how to drive and handle the boat but am looking for a good course that will go over navigation in depth and maintenance.

I live just north of Boston. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Garrett

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Boating Class

Can anyone recommend a good boating class.

I have been lake boating my entire life, but am going to be making the steps from a lake boat to an ocean boat this summer.

I know how to drive and handle the boat but am looking for a good course that will go over navigation in depth and maintenance.

I live just north of Boston. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Garrett

US Power Squadrons, Coast Guard Auxiliary and (often) local law enforcement all offer basic boating instruction. I'm partial to US Power Squadrons. My wife and I are members, and she's an officer. Great organization. We joined the local chapter 2 years ago after taking their basic boating class.

I've taken thast class, Seamanship, Piloting and Navigation; and I'm currently taking a course in Marine electrical systems. Go to usps.org and find your local chapter.

PS- kudos to you for asking! :)

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice

We took the full set of classes from Boatwise. Russo Marine in Medford hosts the classes this time of year. I also understand that Boatwise offers classes in other locations on the North Shore and Southern New Hampshire. They are a USCG approved training organization, so passing the safe boating class will get you a discount on your insurance.

ziggy

Admiral

i'll second the uscg aux or the us power squadron.
i went the power squadron way. mostly because 'i think' the uscg aux. has some base requirements that must be met...

woosterken

Lieutenant

i second the power squadron :) and get your self a copy of the chapman's seamenship and piloting book.
its the bible of the boating world!!

woosterken

37pro

Cadet

Gfriedman, Your best bet is to join the United States Power Squadron.
www.usps.org
The squadron is a national club with local districts and squadrons. By joining you will have access to the classes you want in addition you will have a new group of friends that are from you're area that boat in the same places you do with tons of local knowlege. Good luck, Eric