74 evinrude 115 gear selection AHHHHHH

sgsrks4w4

Recruit
Right took boat out ran like a dream (well for a 74mdl) all day then stoped for 10 min on way back to trailer and no more gear selection. Got home in reverse after hellish time to get her started in gear. 5 km in reverse
what i know Gear selector rod moves but is hard when forced into reverse it engages neuatral engages (I Think) Forwards nothing can move selector rod in forwards position but no presure on the prop. justs a ting when you spin prop by hand. Remote controlls only move from N to forward (don't think it is getting all the way to neutral though) i have disconnected the remote controlls and still can not shift the remote?????? I am stumped top half of this old girl runs like a dream once running ANY IDEAS OR DO I JUST COUGH UP FOR A NEWER BETTER BIGGER MOTOR. "PS i know nothing about boats"

JUST A DUMB ELECTRICIAN THAT BOUGHT A CHEAP BOAT
:mad::confused::redface:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 74 evinrude 115 gear selection AHHHHHH

check your gear oil. you have a hydro-mechanical shift lower unit. must be full of oil to shift. could be rust on shift rod at lower unit, i have seen that. i disconnect cables, and start motor on muffs, then manually shift at the motor. also, control cables do go bad, and will not move properly.

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a remote problem if you disconnected the remote and the remote still want shift could be a cable problem as well

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You might try disconnecting the shift cable at the engine and see if the control arm will move the cable freely. Be sure that the warm-up lever is down.