1985 85hp force questions

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a 85 bayliner trophy with a 85 hp force.

It is a project/restore for me, so i didnt get to "test drive it"

I want to get a manual but in the mean time what are the most common things I should be looking for?

Also I want to test the motor, what type of "muff's" do i need to run it with a garden hose

How can i check for spark,and clean the carb's.

I know i am asking a ton of questions, but i want to do this all on my own so i can say i did a complete restore of my first boat.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Rich

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 85hp force questions

First thing to do is check compression, it need at least 100psi on all cyl, and all need to be within 10%. If the motor has sat for a while it is never a bad idea to squirt a little 2 cycle oil in the plug holes to lube the cyl walls. Next comes spark, use a tester with an adjustable gap. it needs at least 1/2" of spark. if it passes those tests its best to wait for the manual before tearing into the carbs, especially if you have never done this before.

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 85hp force questions

First thing to do is check compression, it need at least 100psi on all cyl, and all need to be within 10%. If the motor has sat for a while it is never a bad idea to squirt a little 2 cycle oil in the plug holes to lube the cyl walls. Next comes spark, use a tester with an adjustable gap. it needs at least 1/2" of spark. if it passes those tests its best to wait for the manual before tearing into the carbs, especially if you have never done this before.

compression and spark tester's, where can i find these?

Thanks

Rich