Looking at my first boat. Need advice and some pointers!

mikey2274

Recruit
So here is my first post in here! Glad I found this site. I own two jet skis now, but getting older and a recent hand surgery has sent me on the quest to purchase my first boat! I have found a boat that I am going to look at tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had some advice, tips, pointers, things to look for, etc etc. I have found a 1982 22ft SeaRay Vagaurd XL Cuddy Cabin with a 350 Chevy in it. The interior has been completely redone. No worries there. The dash and guages are all custom and have been redone. The price is right...for this reason... The guy last had it out two seasons ago. He didn't drain it when he pulled it out, and let it sit all winter. Now I know there could be a multitude of engine issues including bad freeze plugs, cracked heads, cracked block, etc etc. So I figure it like this.... The local junk yard offers small block Chevy motors for $150. Am I correct in assuming that the short block assemblies will be exactly the same from a boat to a car/truck? I figure with some elbow grease, a few afternoons, and about $200 worse case scenario...I'll be having fun on the water again this summer. I keepng my fingers crossed for bad freeze plugs though! Anyway....what else should I look for while checking out this boat? Any systematic problems that this model of boat tends to have? Does anyone have some pics they can post? Any pointers would be greatly appriciated! Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Last edited:

red85k100rs

Seaman
Re: Looking at my first boat. Need advice and some pointers!

The guy last had it out two seasons ago. He didn't drain it when he pulled it out, and let it sit all winter. Now I know there could be a multitude of engine issues including bad freeze plugs, cracked heads, cracked block, etc etc. So I figure it like this.... The local junk yard offers small block Chevy motors for $150. Am I correct in assuming that the short block assemblies will be exactly the same from a boat to a car/truck?

no car motors are not the same as boat motors,

nlain

Commander

You would have to strip the engine down to a bare block, transfer all the parts from the marine engine to the automotive, you would also need brass freeze plugs and gaskets and seals for marine use. Also you will need to look for an older engine, the old parts may not fit on the newer engine blocks, 1982 is pre vortec and I believe somewhere in between there is some difference in the heads and intakes that would prevent mixing parts. You would be better off posting this engine question up in the appropriate forum above where the engine gurus are.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Moving to I/O repair for more engine swap information.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The local junk yard offers small block Chevy motors for $150. Am I correct in assuming that the short block assemblies will be exactly the same from a boat to a car/truck?

The short answer is yes... with a few notes:

Get a short block (or even a long block would be better) from a truck, as the cam will be better suited than a car.

Replace the freeze, or core plugs, if necessary with brass ones. (They may already have brass ones in place).

Transfer all the other stuff over from your marine engine and you are good to go.

Just make sure you have the same vintage engine - in other words, if you have a two piece rear main seal, stay with an engine with a two piece rear main.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you'll soon see that your $200 estimate is going to balloon into 4-5 thousand after you realize you need new manifolds and risers, probably bellows, probably a shift cable, drive probably leaks etc etc...

Its an 82 Searay. Drill halfway (just over 1 inch)into the transom from the inside of the boat with a small drill bit. 50/50 the boat has a rotted transom.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I guess I missed the part that this is a boat you are considering buying - versus one that you already bought. Like Jason said, look long and hard at the hull - the trailer - the outdrive - etc. I doubt the owner would let you drill into the transom however. ;) Rap on the transom on the outside and see if any part of it sounds hollow. If so, I would suggest you continue looking.

Also - be sure to price a complete set of exhaust manifolds and risers as suggested above - they get pricey pretty quick. With the other freeze damage the chances are good they will need to be replaced. If nothing else, that might give you some good bargaining material.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

And....If the drives are OMC don't waste your time with it.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And....If the drives are OMC don't waste your time with it.

iboats really needs to give you Merc guys your own area. :)

/they see me boatin', they hatin', Mercruisin', they tryin to catch my white OMC.

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I respectfully disagree; car/truck chevy 350's are the same as boat engines, minus the freeze plugs and the head gaskets.

My 1988 had a cracked block from freezing. It was a two bolt main. I bought a 4 bolt main truck block and put all my parts in it with brass freeze plugs. Runs great and no issues.

I like the Merc 260/5.7 because of the part interchangeability. It's cheaper at Autozone than West Marine for my non-specific marine parts. Such as filters, exaust, intake gaskets etc etc.

Never use non-marine engine electrical. Starters and alternators are shielded from sparks. If you use auto ones, you'll blow yourself up.

Bondo

Staff member

Looking at my first boat. Need advice and some pointers!

Ayuh,.... 3 things to Avoid at All costs,...
A hull with Rotten Wood,...
A hull powered by a 470 Mercruiser...
A hull powered by Any OMC....

Just My opinion,... Your results may vary.....

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tack a zero onto your $200 estimate and you'll be alot closer to what it will end up costing.