Bad Pulse Limiter?

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to diagnose and fix a lean running 93 115TLET. It is running lean and will not idle.

I pulled the pulse limiter and it was not clogged or anything that I could tell. I squirted carb cleaner through it. I blew air through it and air would flow in both directions.

My manual says that the PL is a check valve. Shouldn't that mean that air only flows one direction? Could free flow in both directions mean a bad PL? Could this cause my fuel pump to not work - causing my lean issue?

Thanks in advance!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad Pulse Limiter?

When functioning properly the pulse limiter only closes when the air passing through it moves at abnormally high speed, such as during a backfire. Its function is to protect the fuel pump.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree 100% ^^^^^^^ with the above. ^^^^^^

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!!! I'll check that one off as not being my problem and move on to the next one.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you give the carb's a "proper cleaning out" ???

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, I've cleaned and reassembled the carbs three times. It seems like I have either an air leak somewhere or my VRO pump is malfunctioning.

However, being the idiot that I am, I have now managed to shear off the pulse limiter while trying to reinstall it. Maybe it had a crack and that was where my air leak was. In either case, it looks like I am going to be pulling out the screw extractors to get the piece out of the block.

Oh fun day!!