Shift Rod Seal Removal Tool

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Anyone know where I can find one of these? It's for removing the shift rod seal bushings, for the older OMC lower units. I could make one, but the shop I work in doesn't have a lathe. So, I need to buy one.:cool:

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shift Rod Seal Removal Tool

Never had one... I always improvised one out of old shaft material. I didn't have a lathe either, just a good grinder to make the end work for me. :rolleyes:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Anyone know where I can find one of these? It's for removing the shift rod seal bushings, for the older OMC lower units. I could make one, but the shop I work in doesn't have a lathe. So, I need to buy one.:cool:

You can still get them from Evinrude dealers. OR....check your PMs.

EDIT: Well, I tried to go through the proper channels, but the PM system isn't working for some reason. I wanted to tell you that I make those tools. Mine are better than the factory one and less money. Contact me if you are interested. If you can get the PM to work, that is.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you right click the username and select "open in new tab", you can access the PM function.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made one from 5/16 steel rod,with a file and a drill press, then went the rout of F_R's, much better than mine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you right click the username and select "open in new tab", you can access the PM function.

Thanks. I was left clicking on the username, then "send a private massage". Wonder why that doesn't work?? Oh well, your method does work, so all is well.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It used to up until a month or so ago.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Any pics?

Mas

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well, I tried to go through the proper channels, but the PM system isn't working for some reason
We are aware of the PM and Profile pull down menu issues and have been trying to get it worked out. Stay tuned. Another way to create PMs is to click the Private Messages button, and then "Send New Message". You have to type in the Username with this method.