looking at boat where registered owner has died(ontario)

steve6

Seaman
will i have trouble registering the boat? has anyone gone through this process? learning this face really shied me away, but i'm just wondering if i do buy it, if i could still get it registered

Alumarine

Captain
Re: looking at boat where registered owner has died(ontario)

Which Ontario?

steve6

Seaman

Ontario, Canada

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Steve:
I live in Vancouver so we probably have the same system. I bought my boat from an estate where the owner died but the vendor had no copy of the death cert. I applied for one from the proper authority (can't remember who) and the registration was simple. I had to do it at the border. I can't see a problem actually! Whatever province you live in will have a mechanism for transferring the chattels of deceased people otherwise they would have to be destroyed.
Good luck.

MRS

Commander

Who ever is selling the boat should have all the paper work plus the death cert. That is the way we got are boat we have now we bought it from the son. Plus make sure the paper work for the trailer is included. We bought in Arizona and live in California hope this helps.

steve6

Seaman

Hi Steve:
I applied for one from the proper authority (can't remember who) and the registration was simple. I had to do it at the border. I can't see a problem actually! Whatever province you live in will have a mechanism for transferring the chattels of deceased people otherwise they would have to be destroyed.
Good luck.

This should be the same, as its all federal (so same across the country). My problem is most people are idiots, I know there will be NO paper work provided, only a bill of sale.

Could I make a declaration? http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/declaration.pdf would this cost money?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If they have the legal right to sell the boat, then they have the right to re-title it in their name.
Have them do the paperwork, then sell it to you properly.
Cost of them doing it is well worth the trouble.

Alumarine

Captain

Just curious. Why do you have to register it?
Does it not have numbers already?

What size of boat.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm also in Ontario...to start with..registering a boat is a giant PITA in ontario (and Vancouver, it's a federal thing here in Canada). However, I had an old 1976 fiberglass tub that hadn't been registered for about 3 previous owners. Obviously tracking them down would require a private investigator so I didn't bother. What I did have was a bill of sale from the owner, with their address, phone number...etc. With their name printed and signed on it, as well as my information. All of the ID off the boat (the registration number on the hull, the HIN (serial #) make and model). I also sent pictures of the boat, HIN Plate and registration #'s just to be safe. Sent all that stuff into the federal office, and received my proof of registration from them within a couple a weeks. I "believe" it cost about $50 to do. Don't goto the MTO office, they don't do registration, although you will need to go there to get a trailer plate (a whole other fiasco) for the trailer, they tax it the same way as a car. Be sure to get the ownership for the trailer. In Canada (as in most places I think) you never really get an 'ownership' paper for your boat. In fact there has been rare instances where someone will sell a boat that isn't even theirs...and get the money and run....much like the house scam that was running rampant a few years back. The registration is only used to identify the boat itself.

ian

steve6

Seaman

Just curious. Why do you have to register it?
Does it not have numbers already?

What size of boat.

Register it so its proper? I know most people on little lakes wouldn't care, but I go in lake simcoe and see opp and york regional police all the time. Usually you need to have proper ownership/registration to also get insurance.

the boat currently has numbers, it has been passed to two people after the original owner, who has since died.

also its a 17 or 18 footer, just a ski/cruise boat for the lake

Alumarine

Captain

Register it so its proper? I know most people on little lakes wouldn't care, but I go in lake simcoe and see opp and york regional police all the time. Usually you need to have proper ownership/registration to also get insurance.

the boat currently has numbers, it has been passed to two people after the original owner, who has since died.

also its a 17 or 18 footer, just a ski/cruise boat for the lake

I was wondering as I've never had an issue nor known anyone who has had an issue with a smaller boat that already has numbers. I've even heard some people make up numbers.

Also, have never had an insurance company ask for anything other than the HIN and horsepower on a smaller boat.

I doubt if the OPP or york regional have the ability to check registration.
I've only been asked about safety items.

Trailers can be slightly more complicated.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was wondering as I've never had an issue nor known anyone who has had an issue with a smaller boat that already has numbers. I've even heard some people make up numbers.

Also, have never had an insurance company ask for anything other than the HIN and horsepower on a smaller boat.

Has to do with boat size I think, anything over 18' requires registration papers to insure here...at least with any of the insurance companies I've dealt with in Ontario.

Ian

steve6

Seaman

Looking at some of the terminology online, I may be calling it registration, but it looks to appear as 'licensing' the boat ... either way.... Are you not you supposed to carry your registration/license paper? I currently use my dads boat and its always in there, but I have never been asked for it. but I don't want to be hassled either.

For insurance I am not sure on foot requirement etc, but they can be so picky, if I insure a boat I don't have the proper paperwork, and something happens, they could deny your claim.

I went and looked at it today, i probably would have purchased it if it was not for the paper work.. i just dont know how much hassle that will be.

packkratt

Cadet

I have done a bit of research into this as I picked up a "field" boat last year with no papers near Barrie.
As far as the Fed's are concerned, Boats (at least small ones) do NOT have an ownership/title like a car, the are treated like any other personal property, i.e. if you have proof the serial number belongs to you then you may be able to get a stolen boat back, (just like a TV, or stereo, lawn tractor etc).

The Feds, are only really interested in the boat License, this is the number on the front of the hull, and they only use that for contact information in an emergency, obtaining, or updating the boat licence is free, they do ask for the previous owners contact info, however you can get around that if you don't know, anyone who sells you the boat can be put down, proof of ownership is not required, I do recommend you get a bill of sale for your own protection and records however.

It is important to know that the Boat license in Canada does NOT prove ownership, and cannot be used to prove ownership, (thats straight from their website)

Good luck

PS, hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for a while and not posted, this is my 1st.

Alumarine

Captain

I have done a bit of research into this as I picked up a "field" boat last year with no papers near Barrie.
As far as the Fed's are concerned, Boats (at least small ones) do NOT have an ownership/title like a car, the are treated like any other personal property, i.e. if you have proof the serial number belongs to you then you may be able to get a stolen boat back, (just like a TV, or stereo, lawn tractor etc).

The Feds, are only really interested in the boat License, this is the number on the front of the hull, and they only use that for contact information in an emergency, obtaining, or updating the boat licence is free, they do ask for the previous owners contact info, however you can get around that if you don't know, anyone who sells you the boat can be put down, proof of ownership is not required, I do recommend you get a bill of sale for your own protection and records however.

It is important to know that the Boat license in Canada does NOT prove ownership, and cannot be used to prove ownership, (thats straight from their website)

Good luck

PS, hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for a while and not posted, this is my 1st.

Good 1st one.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is easy....trailer stuff at the MTO. Boat stuff at any Service Canada office.

The MTO will charge you the tax for the purchase of the boat and trailer.

The boat license is free.

Don't mail anything to them...just go in to the office if you have one local. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

You are required to keep your papers in your boat, and to carry your Pleasure Craft Operators card as well. Failure to do so means bad things.