Putting a new floor on boat

mr.andy

Cadet
Hi im new when it comes to fixing up boats. I have this project boat that i have recently purchased very cheap (50 bucks) and i ripped up the floor because it was very molded and i got to look whats underneath and it looks like the transom was the only other thing affected by mold. The stringers look quite good for how the floor looked. Well my main question is... I dont really want to mess with fiber glassing mainly because its expensive and a bit tricky. I was wondering couldn't i just lay down like 1 inch treated plywood as my floor and use that without putting fiberglass over it?
thanks
andy

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Putting a new floor on boat

You can do anything you want to.

Even treated ply soaks water.

The PO of my boat laid down 3/4 treated ply over the rotted floor, I'll bet I took 400 lbs out of the boat by doing it right. And I know the floor will be there in 10 years. JMHO :)

mr.andy

Cadet

So i dont have to use fiberglass to coat the boat deck/floor?

a70eliminator

Captain

You don't have to glass over it, but at least caulk the edges and seems with a good exterior caulking and then coat the whole nine yards with epoxie paint or spar varnish.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard andy!! Moved this over to the boat restoration section. Good luck!

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy, you really should fiberglass the edges of the plywood to where it meets the hull if you want to do it right. Your floor and hull will be stronger.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi im new when it comes to fixing up boats. I have this project boat that i have recently purchased very cheap (50 bucks) and i ripped up the floor because it was very molded and i got to look whats underneath and it looks like the transom was the only other thing affected by mold. The stringers look quite good for how the floor looked. Well my main question is... I dont really want to mess with fiber glassing mainly because its expensive and a bit tricky. I was wondering couldn't i just lay down like 1 inch treated plywood as my floor and use that without putting fiberglass over it?
thanks
andy

On the contrary, fiberglass and resin is cheap. It's just a pain. 1" ply is going to pretty heavy. Personally I wouldn't go over 3/4". Even 5/8" would be fine. The plywood (good on one side) will likely cost you $40.00-$45.00 a sheet at least here it does for 3/4". I don't know what it would cost in the U.S.
If you're transom is gone that's where your learning and labor comes in to play.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

welcome, read your posts, seems you dont want to deal w/ fiberglass, my ? then is, how are you going to adress the transom issue, so it will last more than a few years? if you have decide to glass the transon in you might as well coat the deck on all 6 six sides,it is not that expensive, it is however your vessel and can rebuild it as you see fit. if you just want to use it a couple years and move on i understand.
D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I knew nothing about fiberglass and boat work until I joined this board but since then have properly replaced my transom, stringers, deck, and more. It's pretty straight forward and not too expensive if you shop around

mr.andy

Cadet

Well i know im going to be using fiberglass on the transom... I just am on a very very tight budget right now....

Robj

Lieutenant

Well i know im going to be using fiberglass on the transom... I just am on a very very tight budget right now....

Unfortunately then you should have not purchased a boat. They are not cheap. And IMO there is only one way to do a repair that is the right way, whick does involve fibreglassing. Remember the deck is also part of the structure Fibreglass is not that expensive, start Mickey Mousing things and you are just wasting your time and $$. It is not hard to do it right, and many here will help guide you through the process. You can also start reading, there are tonnes of posts detailing on how to do the work.

Good luck and have a great day

Rob.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I too am rebuilding a boat for the first time and budget is on the top of my mind, but if you take your time and do what you can, when you can, you'll be able to have a properly rebuilt boat that you can be proud of. If you are wanting to "patch it together" that's up to you but plenty of guys here to mtivate and answer any questions. good luck and keep us posted.:)

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

1st major rebuild, 5th boat, gutted this one to the hull worse part of the whole deal is the after demo grind out, glass is not that much $$$$ check online , then local see how the budget balances, use poly resin, thats better than nothing, completely rebuild whats junk, do it now or mess w/ it for years, cheaper all @ once, if yor young do it now and fish it or play for years, probably be able to move up once b4 it toast again
D