Throttle start position?

mikemo1964

Cadet
Hello. I'm new to the group and was hoping for some assistance. I just bought a 1972 Catalina 22 sailboat and it has a 1990 Evinrude Yachtwin 8hp outboard. I don't have an owners manual and was curious as to cold start procedures (I've never owned a boat with a motor). I found the procedure on this board (thanks, btw) and it helped, but I'm stuck on one thing. I can't find the "start position" on my throttle. The outboard is faded from the sun and I can't see any indicators on the twist-grip.

I assume that it should not be all the way at idle, since there would be no need for a "start position" if that were the case. I also assume that it should not be wide open, as there is an interlock that prevents the starter rope from moving when the throttle is opened up. Can someone give me a ballpark for where the throttle should be on cold starts?

The motor runs like a champ in the barrel. I'm hoping to get it out on the Gulf this Sunday, weather permitting. I buy a boat in January, and our usually beautiful florida winter turns NASTY. It's been colder this past 2 months than I ever rember it being, and I've lived here 28 years.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mike M.
Palm Harbor, FL

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle start position?

in neutral turn the throttle as far as you can. that is cold start throttle position. if it does not have the neutral stop, then use the pull stop setting.

mikemo1964

Cadet

Thank you for the reply. Let me make sure I understand. I don't believe this motor has a neutral stop. Is the "pull stop setting" the maximum throttle opening without the pull start interlock engaging? I know the pull start won't work when the throttle is full open.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Palm Harbor, FL

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Open the tank vent, pump the fuel bulb hard, pull the choke, twist the throttle to the left all the way in neutral- it should have a lockout to prevent over revving- and pull it over. To test the lockout make sure the motor is OFF. Shift it into foward and twist the throttle, if it goes a lot further than in neutral the lockout is working, if there is no change in the range of motion the lockout isn't working. If it won't shift into gear while the motor is OFF rotate the prop by hand while shifting, it will eventually shift.

mikemo1964

Cadet

Thanks guys. That was perfect. I don't have a neutral stop (or it isn't working). I set the throttle up to the pull interlock. From cold, three pulls and it fired right up.

Thanks again!
Mike M.