Smart Tab placement on transom??

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice
I?m considering adding the SX series Smart Tabs this spring and getting rid of the Stingray III hydrofoil I added last year. The hydrofoil does help me plane easier with my underpowered 3.0 4 banger, but the boat leans to the left horribly with it on there. I?ve read that the Smart tabs will help with this problem and plane the boat off alot faster.

My question is with the way my transom is designed. I know with the SX series the actuator must be mounted on the same plane as the plate. Do you guys think the black line I placed on the picture of my transom would be to far inboard to mount the smart tabs? I?m also assuming the 60lb set would be best suited for my boat which is a 17?.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• 92 arrow glass 1.JPG
    92 arrow glass 1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 92 arrow glass 2.JPG
    92 arrow glass 2.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Smart Tab placement on transom??

I am currently in the same boat so to speak.;)

I called and spoke with John at Nauticus I also emailed him some pictures. Super nice guy btw. My transom is kind of similar to yours. He said that they are ok to mount there. Just to be sure that the measurements were correct.

I have not done mine as of yet but on his direction I ordered them. Now that it is warming up I plan on putting them on soon.

Measure twice drill once...good luck and I think you have a good plan getting rid of the hydrofoil.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree, good place. and remove foil.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

but the boat leans to the left horribly with it on there. I?ve read that the Smart tabs will help with this problem and plane the boat off alot faster.

Leans? When you are by yourself? With 2 aboard? With 4 aboard? Where is everybody sitting? Can you eliminate the lean if your passengers move to make a better weight distribution?

Kinda funny if you ask me. Most boats lean to the left because of prop torque. Adjust the weight and it'll be OK. If it is OK without the fin and the fin makes it lean, then the fin is installed crooked.

Smart tabs will correct the lean? I would like to see the link where that was reported.

A 17 footer is underpowered with a 4-banger? Maybe you need to talk to a prop guy!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

It is most likely leaning to port because the bow is too far down at cruising speeds. If you trim up more that should help, but it may still leave you with excessive bow pressure and a list. The hydrofoil also would cause a reduction in top speed and a severe lean in hard left turns. The faster you go the more lift you get from the hydrofoil. Not good.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Got my Smart Tabs today and have been looking over the installation directions. What type of marine sealant should I use in the screw holes when I mount the brakets? Do I use regular silicone adhesive or something special for this application?

Thanks guys!

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got my Smart Tabs today and have been looking over the installation directions. What type of marine sealant should I use in the screw holes when I mount the brakets? Do I use regular silicone adhesive or something special for this application?

Thanks guys!

I used something I got from a local boat dealer....It suggests to use 3m 4200 or 5200 but no one around my area had any... What I got was basically the same thing and what they used in their service department.. Whatever you get make sure it is for below the water line though and a marine grade...

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

NO silicone!

Use 5200.
BTW I put mine on in alost the exact position your drawing showed and they work amazing. You will be shocked at how much better it drives when you get them on there.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad to read this. I have a foil (not installed yet) but have been thinking about a set of trim tabs. Sounds like that is the way to go. My problem is I need the bow to stay down more at speed. I can trim down all the way but the torque of the drive tries to rip the wheel out of my hands. Much less torque when trimmed in the middle but due to the weight of the engine the bow rises up too much. What size tabs would you all recommend for a 20.5ft open bow speed boat?

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad to read this. I have a foil (not installed yet) but have been thinking about a set of trim tabs. Sounds like that is the way to go. My problem is I need the bow to stay down more at speed. I can trim down all the way but the torque of the drive tries to rip the wheel out of my hands. Much less torque when trimmed in the middle but due to the weight of the engine the bow rises up too much. What size tabs would you all recommend for a 20.5ft open bow speed boat?

Nauticus Toll Free: 800-233-0194

Give them a call and they can tell you what is best for your set up... I would imagine you would need the 80 pounders though...

nlain

Commander

I had a Sting Ray foil on another boat, with the bow down there was a severe lean to the left, trim up it did get better, I lost top speed, used more gas, had strange handling in various situations, Took it off. Current boat has Smart Tabs, SS version, they do everything advertised. As to your boat there are a lot out there with the placement you have marked and they work fine. If you go to Nauticus site you will find a pick of a similar transom and a similar position.

vicman

Seaman Apprentice

If you will look under the Rinker option for the forums, MVN has an 06 captiva with basically the same set up you have and has excellent pictures of his installation. I got my tabs this week and plan on putting them on in the next day or two. 3M 5200 was the sealant that was recommended to me. I haven't heard anything by praise for these. My issue is bow goes uncomfortably high during take-off and porpoises during cruise with the trim all the way down. Good luck!

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

I found the 3m 5200 sealant at Home Depot, getting ready to drill some holes in the boat and put these bad boys on today.

I need you guys? opinion on the best position for them. I'm thinking the picture I listed as location #1 since that spot is flush with the bottom of the transom, but I'm also thinking this looks like an extreme angle compared to other installs I've looked at. The picture listed as location #2 is my second option however the mounting bracket is not flush with the bottom and it is straddling the step in the transom. Would this affect their performance?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Attachments

• location 1.JPG
    location 1.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • location 2.JPG
    location 2.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Decided to go with location #2 pictured above and started drilling to install them this weekend. First hole - good to go, second hole - even smoother, third hole - water ran out :eek:. It's a 92 model and I had feared the foam could be soaked which was contributing to my difficulty to plane and list to the side but had no idea till now. I got water from holes on both sides. Floor and transom "appear" to be solid but I know with brown tinted water running out the foam has to be soaked and rot under there. Got the bow cranked up high now letting it drip dry for now but I know there's no way possible this is going to help much. Going to let it sit all week this way, install the Smart Tabs this weekend and get through this season as is for now. Will be deciding on a restore or another "new to me" boat it looks like next year :(

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your "discovery". Hope it all works out for you, good luck.

all4seasons

Recruit

I would love to know how this worked out for you when all was said and done. I realized just before I started drilling my holes that if I swing the ladder into the down position, it would have ripped it off the minute someone tried to put their weight on the bottom rung. SO I am forced to either remove the bottom section of the ladder, or move them in more towards the center line of the hull, stradling a "step"(?) in the bottom of the boat. I just want to know if it worked out OK for you mounting them in position #2.