Volvo outdrive ID?

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 AQ 311 with an outdrive that was converted to a duo-prop. I have no markings on the outdrive. Can you tell me what I have or how to find out?

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo outdrive ID?

I just came across a small line in the boat manuel that says the AQ311B did not take a DP drive, so is my drive a SP that was converted? I need to order u joints, water intake fitting, and the seals that are between the inner and outer prop shafts. Are these parts model specific?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ujoints, bellows, hose connection and seals are all the same rather single prop or dual prop. The only thing that changes is the lower unit of the drive. The intermediate housing and the upper gear, and the transom shield are all the same.

captmello

Captain

Welcome.

I read up a little about the 311 and saw what you said about the single prop. Duo-Props tend to be a little slower at the top end and I guess they wanted the AQ311 to be the fastest it could be. I'm sure those special props they mention are not available anymore anyway.

It's hard to say what drive you have. Someone may have changed the lower section or swapped the entire drive to a DP. There may be a ID plate on the top of the drive with some info. Parts are model specific but many models share the same parts so...

I could guess what you have but... You may want to take a couple Pics of the outdrive. You more than likely now have a DP-A.

You can look up the parts right here on Iboats.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I could not figure out why it would come with a single prop but now I know. The ID plate is missing. I was told the lower end was changed to go duo prop so the top is the original outdrive which was an SP.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Looked up the Volvo parts here on iboats. The 311B came with the 290A drive. Now I need the parts. U joints - anything is better then the rusty, locked up one I removed - Do you recomend a brand? How about the prop shaft seal, the old seal that is installed has the spring inserted in the seal, Do after market have the same and work as well?
Also can I just pull the seal that is between the prop shafts out with taking apart the lower housing? I can see and touch the seal.

Don S

Looked up the Volvo parts here on iboats. The 311B came with the 290A drive.

DO NOT go by the parts programs as gospel, they don't always tell the complete story. Post a picture of your drive, that will help a lot, there is also a metal tag on the upper gear box with the drive numbers on it. It's just below where the helmet attaches to the upper gear box.

anything is better then the rusty, locked up one I removed

If the ujoints are rusty, you can bet money the input shaft seal and steel sealing washer in the upper gear box are bad, and what about water getting into the bearings in the flywheel cover.? Did you check that?

Also can I just pull the seal that is between the prop shafts out with taking apart the lower housing? I can see and touch the seal.

Nope, there are 2 seals there, one facing each direction.

All in all, you might want to head up to the Adults only sticky at the top of this forum (Second post) and look at the Volvo information in it. There are manuals and some other theads you really need to read.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I hope the picture attached.
I pressure tested the outdrive and sprayed everything with soapy water and only the prop shaft seal was leaking.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a side view

Attachments

• DSCN2903.jpg
    DSCN2903.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Well, it's not a 290, they had a differnt shape on the upper gear box top and back cover.
You have either one of the DP-A or DP-B series drives. Basiclly due to the type trim cylinders in the brackets and still having the lockdown mechanism. The DP-C series changed a lot.
Which you have really means nothing, DP-A or DP-B will get you the same parts,and they both will fit on a 290A transom shield.

Don S

One other question, do you have a serial number for the engine it's a 10 digit number starting with 40 or 41 or maybe even something else.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

I can't locate an engine #, but here is a mounting plate pic.
Also when I read the manuel, its is a total rebuild. So to replace the prop shaft seals I only need to pull the bearing box and prop shafts, is that correct?

Attachments

• DSCN2906.jpg
    DSCN2906.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

You only need to pull the outer propshaft and the bearing carrier. The inner propshaft does not have to be removed.

capt powers

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. There is always another question though. After market parts are ok to use? And what piant can I use to bring back the look of this outdrive?