got lost w/magellan explorist GPS in pocket

bigmarksr

Cadet
DO NOT RELY ON THESE UNITS TO GET YOU THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was given a new one for Christmas 08' and it was bad out of the box. would not communicate through serial connection for downloadidng maps or anything. also would drain premium batteries in less than 30 min. I found this problem after getting lost in the woods for 4 hrs. I sent it to the manufacturer, they lost it for a month, then sent it back to me unrepaired saying no problem found. I have an old Garmin Etrex that works very well, but no maps. I called magellan again today to see about a replacement. they offered a unit that retails for $177.89 in exchange for my $200 unit and $139.00????????????
I found a Garmin w/ color maps for under $100 new. Hope this keeps someone else from buying bad products from a bad company.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: got lost w/magellan explorist GPS in pocket

Bummer. I have a TomTom and hate it. Was trying to decide what to replace it with. I think Garmin is in the lead.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I have 2 Magellan's 1 hand held, 6 years old and 1 auto unit 2years old, both have preformed flawlessly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You got it for Christmas in 2008 and you are just getting back!!:confused: Wow!!! I guess you were lost! :eek::p;)

I have 2 garmin hand held units ....the older one being a 15 yo garmin 12 and it still works like a champ.

I can't say I have ever been lost since my orienteering skills are fairly sharp....... however...... I have made the wrong turn using my garmin car gps but that is only because I am too frugal (spelled cheap :) ) to download the map upgrade.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to chime in here ... Lost for 4 hrs , can't find your way ? Electronic equipment failed ?? The solution is called a compass !! That is why we have them on our boats ! I have never trusted GPS without a backup !

How can you get lost using a GPS for 30 min of battery time ??? Amazon expedition ???

puddle jumper

Captain

My Magellan 1212 works good but need to down load updated maps to keep currant. Nothing like when it tells you to take a turn in a few feet in a middle of a bridge.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I rely on Lake Michigan and the sun for my sense of direction, without them I sometimes become lost.

Moody Blue

Captain

"got lost w/magellan explorist GPS in pocket"

Well, there is the problem. You have to take it out and look at the screen once in awhile :D:D:D. There is no voice prompting on those handheld units ;)

Seriously, I have used both Garmin and Magellan handhelds. No comparison at all. Garmin, to me, is far superior. I have the Garmin Vista HCx and it performs flawlessly. Only complaint I have is that the maps are far too pricey, but there are ways around that if you spend the time ;).

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to chime in here ... Lost for 4 hrs , can't find your way ? Electronic equipment failed ?? The solution is called a compass !! That is why we have them on our boats ! I have never trusted GPS without a backup !

How can you get lost using a GPS for 30 min of battery time ??? Amazon expedition ???

Even airplanes have backup compasses just in case their GPS and Flight Computers Fail. All Pilots learn to navigate via Map, compass and Plotter.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Have you guys considered getting a PDA phone? I've had a PDA phone for about 5 years and have a GPS app on it.. works fantastic, has voice prompts, map updates, etc and the best part is it is my phone, so I always have it handy and the battery lasts a solid week with normal use. With a PDA phone, you'll never say "I hate my <insert GPS maker>", since if you don't like one GPS app, you can install a different one. After 5 years using mine for my GPS device, seems a no-brainer to me.

boling

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Magellan Meridian Color(6 yrs old) and several TomTom units, none have given any trouble. I even left the Meridian in a backpack during a fishing trip, It recorded the whole trip. It's my backup for the Lowrance system on the boat.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Nandy

Commander

DO NOT RELY ON THESE UNITS TO GET YOU THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should never rely in any gps as the only tool to get you anywhere. They are electronic units and are subjected to fail at any time without notice. A compass dont need batteries and really have very little hardware to go bad. So it is 100 percent your responsability that you got lost. It is 100 percent responsability for magellan to fix the unit if in warranty and if there is really something wrong with it.
Yes, you can get lost in the woods after a 30 min walk very easily even under the best weather conditions if one dont pay attention to landmarks and such. I got lost a few minutes at night in our deer lease. I would have made it eventually in probably less than 30 min but there it goes to show that it is possible.
BTW, Garmin to me all the way...