Johnson 1974 115HP remote start switch??

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
I want to hook up a remote start switch to do some testing (spark, compression etc) on my 1974 Johnson 115HP and I've done some research on how to hook it up but it seems the more I research it the more confused I get. That seems to happen a lot to me. There is either a lot of contradictory information out there or else I don't understand it. I don't want to hook it up wrong and damage anything so how do I hook one up correctly. Also, does the key switch position (off?..on?) make a difference when using the remote switch? Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm confused and can't afford damage due to my ignorance.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1974 115HP remote start switch??

Most often the switch would be used when working on the engine or testing.

You could disconnect the large red plug at the engine but you would need to plan a way to turn the engine off if it starts.

or

You could leave the ignition key in the run position and the throttle arm in neutral.

In either event, the switch at the engine would be wired between the incoming large solenoid post and the positive small solenoid post.

If you wanted to crank without firing, as for a compression test, leave the ignition switch turned to Off.

Attachments

• Fuse 40 jumper.JPG
    Fuse 40 jumper.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 2

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that info. Just for future reference, could you tell me what those 2 z shaped symbols in the diagram mean?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The symbols just indicate that the wires are actually a longer run not the short distance shown.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

connect one wire of the remote switch to large incoming positive post. the other wire goes to the small post with the yellow/red wire. push switch, activates starter.

Attachments

• remote starter.jpg
    remote starter.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 0