1970 Evinrude 115 adding power tilt??? is it possible

jklpengilly

Cadet
So my motor is a 1970 Evinrude 115, 4 cyl.

I am tired of lifting this big heavy motor when I need to trailer my boat or anyother time for that matter.

it feels as if there is no assist from those shock things anymore and I am just plain tired of it.

so I found a CMC power tilt and trim in cabelas but its 500+

is there a way to change some parts maybee with a newer motor and give this older motor power tilt and trim. There are many late 70's tilt and trim units on ebay for evinrudes in same HP rating that include the stern brackets can I adapt these to work with my 115

Thanks and as always pictures if anyone has done this would be much appreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Evinrude 115 adding power tilt??? is it possible

You won't find a good working OEM unit for your motor for much less than the price of the CMC unit. Trust me, I used to have a '73 and I tried for YEARS to find a reasonable priced OEM system. They always got bid up to around $400 on ebay. Your motor needs a pre-1978 system*. The good news is if you buy the CMC now but someday get a newer motor with TnT, you can sell the CMC unit for close to what you paid for it.

* I actually may even be wrong on that as your motor is even older than mine was. Yours either needs the same pre-'78 system as my '73 did, some even older tougher to find system, or is not upgradable to TnT at all. Someone more knowledgeable will probably chime in. If your motor is compatible with the pre-'78 system, your best bet may be to scour craigslist for another old motor that already has it and swap it over then part out the other motor.

jklpengilly

Cadet

well this is the one in particular that I am watching.

it lists 1976 115 but the stern mount looks identical to mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evin...5006374QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

i just wana make sure that a swap like this is even possible to my old engine.

i do understand that the cmc is the way to go but i just wana weigh out my options for saving some money first.

and if I go this route i would also gain the newer steering setup that goes through the stern mount also wouldnt i?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Your 1970 still had the separet mounting clamp's. Using a after market unit may give a problem hooking up the steering. On my 1972 I found a junked out newer 115. This gave me TNT, plus tilt pin steering by swapping the entire clamp, and mid section. This will bolt right up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That ebay guy has his info wrong. That's NOT a 'pre-78 unit. Pre-78 units have the rams mounted outside the brackets. There is literally nothing in that auction that will work for your motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ezmobee that's what I was thinking to I know mine is A 73 135hp and I'm pretty sure that the 115hp was the same that year has the rams on the outsides of the motor and then a moter that runs them, problem is finding one of them little motors is rough mine went out a few years back and can't find one anywhere that actually still works for a good price

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 3 ram trim entered the market in 1976 on the V-6 engines and was not offered on the V-4 till 1977(140hp). The only way to have trim is to install a 77 and up midsection and swivel bracket and use your powerhead adapter plate.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There were tilt only kits out in 1972 - part number 0172189. I think they are the same as 0172509. You might try finding one of those. sea-way.com may have one.

jklpengilly

Cadet

This one is similar to what the one you're looking for looks like (though this one is for smaller HP motors http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tilt...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item19ba66f11d

Check out this auction for a '77 Rude. You can see the trim motor and ram mounted outside the bracket http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item5ad78ea824

hmm thanks, I will look for one of those.

jklpengilly

Cadet

i guess I am really confused now.

I understand that the parts maybe getting hard to find, but I really need to correct this motor fo rmy application. I want to accomplish two things, have at liest power tilt. and second have the more reliable pivot pin steering.

so what parts would I need to swap this mount from the 1970 version to a later say 1975 mount with the pivot pin steering setup. and also possibly score a power tilt trim ect?

anyone have some pictures to guide me in this conversion??