Is Smokercraft a good boat?

qz5kbk

Cadet
I would like to buy a small 14 foot alum. boat for my family to use on fishing trips on a small inland lake near our home. I have seen a lot of different manufactures around, but really don't know is they all have the same quality. Recently I can across a 1985 Smokercraft that is in great shape for about 600 dollars (trailer included). Can anyone that is educated on alum boats tell me where Smokercraft falls on the quality scale? Also, if Smokercraft isn't desireable, can you recommend a company that is?
Thanks for reading my thread.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is Smokercraft a good boat?

Yes it's a good boat. There really aren't any bad 14' tinnys that I know of. Perception-wise I think Lunds have the best resale and Trackers probably the lowest. $600 for that Smoker sounds like a good deal to me!

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes they are good boats.

The Alaskan range is perfect for 2-3 people in calm inland lakes. They are well made but still light, and so it does not take a lot of horsepower to get them going. It doesn't take a huge truck to tow them either. However, if the conditions/waves get rougher, I would personally find something with higher sides

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

SmokerCraft, Sylvan, MirroCraft, Lund, Alumacraft, Fisher, Crestliner are all very popular boats in the upper midwest and all of them, except perhaps Fisher, have been around for decades. Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner are at the top of the food chain with all the others falling below that in perceived quality and resale value. Note that I said "perceived" quality. There are no bad boats in this bunch. Quality is what YOU define it as. The three boats I mention command higher resale value than the others but that does not mean the other boats are not just as sea worthy and durable as the others. I have owned four of the seven boats listed and have not had issues with any of them.

Huron Angler

Admiral

SmokerCraft, Sylvan, MirroCraft, Lund, Alumacraft, Fisher, Crestliner are all very popular boats in the upper midwest and all of them, except perhaps Fisher, have been around for decades.

And don't forget the patriarch of the tin can club...Starcraft:)

I like Smokercraft and Lund for the sharp pitch on the bow, very sleek-looking little boats. I also have a 60s vintage 12' aluminum AeroCraft that's held up very well. As mentioned...these aluminum boats are all seaworthy.