Thoughts on this.............

Pony

Rear Admiral
Safety cables <br /><br /> <br /><br />As opposed to the standard linked cable. I need to replace mine as one of my saftey chains broke in half on the last trip..................don't ask me how :cool:

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thoughts on this.............

The only thing I don't like about 'em, is the size of that open hook - I've seen hooks bounce off.<br /><br />The self-coiling feature is nice (nothing dragging on the ground), and I'm sure they're plenty strong.<br /><br />You could probably do just was well with some coated cable and hardware, picked-up at your local hardware store. Wouldn't be self-coiling, but the rest would be the same.

Pony

Rear Admiral

If possible I would like to replace the "S" hooks with clasp's anyways. I had planned to do that with the original safety chains before I needed to replace them.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If your chains drag the ground I bet they could be shorter - funny thing - as long as the gap between the anchor points on the vehicle are the same as the gap between the anchor points on the trailer, the chain doesn't need any slack at all, maybe just a little. Same is true if the trailer hooks are farther apart than the vehicle hooks.<br /><br />It's true, check it out - assuming you cross the chains under the hitch - the distance between the ends of the chain is the greatest when the car and trailer are lined up - they just get closer together when you turn either direction.<br /><br />If the gap on the hitch is wider than the gap on the trailer, the trailer hook on the inside of a turn gets a little farther from its corresponding vehicle hook, then gets closer again as the turn gets sharper.<br /><br />Bottom line, you may need way less slack than you think. In fact if your chains drag the ground then so will your trailer tongue, if the chains are ever called into service.<br /><br />The coated cable - any moisture gets inside will stay inside - accelerate corrosion - uncoated at least it could dry out. I have no scientific research to support that.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree with jtexas on the length thing. Also true with the wiring . . . Worst thing is straight to wide point on vehicle<br /><br />I have cables similar to the ones you posted Pony except they have a clasp end (opening almost too small) and they are coiled like a slinky so they can stretch and retract. I like them a lot. I've gotta believe that the strength is sufficient (un-corroded) or they would not be legal . . . my .02

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

My new 25ft Sea Lion came with those cables. Coil like a slinky when in use.<br /> Dead Eye

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

My trailer uses this kind of safety cable too. The type of cable must have been in service for quite some time now as the trailer is about 10 years old. They are very easy to use and I don't think it would bounce of the recepticle that easily.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Sounds like I might pick up a pair. I dont think I need any as heavy duty as the ones I linked to. May go down one level........cheaper too.<br /><br /><br />I'll see how they look.......still may put some clasping "S" hooks on them.