1977 Chrysler 90 HP just purchased

Switzer1983

Recruit
I just recently purchased what I believe to be a 1977 Chrysler 90HP, the reason I believe this is after pulling the hood off I am able to see a tag that say 907HC am i correct in thinking this is a 1977 90HP 3 cylinder with 3 tiltson carbs? I am very new to boating and outboards. I am however mechanically inclined i like to think. I purchased the boat, Trailer and motor from the guy(in need of money) for 150 bucks with titles in hand. Told me the motor ran last year. It has sat over the winter and now today was the 1st day of 45-50 degree weather I want to see if this thing runs. I am building a outboard stand for it tommrow. I will then pull the engine, and cables. Before I hook this thing to a battery and start cranking what preperations should I do before hand? I have a compression tester but not sure what type of compression i should be getting or how i go about doing it..Any help would be great guys! Thanks....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Chrysler 90 HP just purchased

90 indicates 90 HP, the 7 indicates how it was equipped and the HC indicates year--unfortunately, I don't have my charts handy so I can't tell you. Does it have a distributor? Is there one wire attached on the side of the distributor or two wires. Brand new, compression was around 145-155 PSI. Anything over 120 and you are doing well. Less than 60 indicates problems. Bore 3.3125 inch, Stroke 2,80. Displacement 72 cubic inches. Three Tillotsen carbs, 1 5/16 diameter venturis, 2 to 1 gear ratio in the lower unit. Everything from almost any Chrysler 3 cylinder engine is swappable into it. Depending upon size of hull, 13 X 17 or 13 X 19 prop. If it is indeed from the 70s, props are not available new and getting rarer used. Repair parts for the engine itself are still available if you take the time to look.

Check compression with all three plugs out. Jump the solenoid with the switch off so the plugs don't fire. Before cranking to check compression, squirt a little TCW-3 oil in each cylinder and each carb. This will lubricate the engine since it has been sitting a while. Before starting, change lower unit oil. Before running on the water, change the fuel pump diaphragm and water pump impeller. Standard fuel mixture is 1 pint TCW-3 oil to 6 gallons gasoline.

Unfortunately, that engine was rated at the engine block and will disappoint you if you expect it to keep up with newer 90s. It really only put out about 75 at the prop. But it was a nice engine, reliable and --as you know--CHEAP to buy. Well worth the money you paid.

Switzer1983

Recruit

Thanks for the great information! I am using this on a 1970s Switzer Huger. These are neat little boats. Im sure even 70 true horsepower will make this thing fly. I pulled the motor this week, built an outboard stand for it and now its sitting at my dads, we are going to clean it up and work on it this friday I will keep you posted.
here is a boat similar to mine.....
2009_0514(002).JPG

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a sweet looking little craft! Good luck and keep us updated.
Dan

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! That's a good lookin' run-about.

I'd like to find something like that for my 90 HP Chrysler.

The hull looks something like a Sidewinder. How long is that Switzer?