Boat Electrical

Bhunter650

Recruit
Hello to every one... This week I am picking up my first boat. 16ft Lund with a 25 Johnson. To get to the point I want to wire it for a few different things but I want to check with you all before I start to see what you think.

12 volt battery connected to a fuse pannel off that i would run to a switch board. On the switches I would have one for a trolling motor, one for an onboard radio, one to the lights on the boat and then the last one to the depth finder/fish finder.

Whatt are your thoughts? Am I missing any thing that you can think of?

I don't want to turn my boat into a tinder box fire in the middle of the lake.

Thanks for the input.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Electrical

Not sure if you would need a switch for depth finder, trolling motor and radio.
You can turn them off and on, the only thing you would need a switch for is lights.
Just my 2 1/2 cents.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I think you will need a separate wire from the battery for the trolling motor. Not heavy enough gauge to run the motor. If it is just an on off switch you would be ok, but anything else would be a fire hazard. I have isolated my trolling motor with a hd switch in the back of the boat that I can use to connect both batteries for charging on the way back in.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

sounds god except.........

You need to run the trolling motor directly off an inline fuse or thermal circuit breaker, that is connected to the positive terminal of the battery.
The breaker should be a 40 amp, and the wiring to the troller needs to be heavy gauge ( 6 or 8 gauge) to handle the load.

s7_014081_imageset_02

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you are talking "lights" are you referring to the nav. lights. If so there should be a switch so you can have an anchor light and you running lights. And maybe a bilge pump?