Grinding the the anode dangerous?

shep247

Seaman
I seem to recall a man telling me once that grinding aluminum could clog the grinding wheel with the soft aluminum, causing heat to be retained, and make he grinding wheel explosive. I was planning on grinding my trim anode tomorrow with a friend's bench grinder to get my new prop to fit.

I'm not sure if the anode is aluminum or zinc, or what kind of wheel he has on that grinder, :confused: but I've got an uneasy feeling that I may be putting myself in some sort of danger.

Do you guys have any words about this? I really don't want a grinding wheel exploding in my face.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Grinding the the anode dangerous?

You could clean up your anodes with a wire brush, grinding wheel, file, maybe some muriatic acid...you want to remove the least amount of material while still exposing fresh metal...not much chance of loading/exploding a grinding wheel doing this...Wear your safety goggles, anyway, and Good Luck!

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It will clog up the grinder wheel. Its not going to blow up though. I would use a vice and cut what you need to useing a hacksaw then clean it up with the grinder. It will cut through easly with a new blade on your saw

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to a welding supply store. The make a paste you apply to the wheel so it won't fill with aluminum.

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could ust buy the right anode.. A flat or set back one is pretty cheap(~$15-20) and a heck of a lot easier than cutting that one.