Fuel Pump Challenge for ya?!?

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so I got this 87 Evinrude 175 Model 175TLCU. I am in the process of replacing all the fuel lines from tank to carbs and I came across nasty looking fuel pumps. So I decide to replace em. Well, I went to the boat shop by my house and his computer shows a 400 dollar VRO or whatever fuel pump. I tell the guy, no, I have 2 little diaghram pumps on it and he looked at me like I had a 4 stroke growing out of my head. Finally, he explained to me that someone must of replaced the factory fuel oil injector thing with "Throw away" pumps! So I say, ok, let me throw them away and get 2 new ones since the covers are yuk and can't get a good seal when i tighten the center screw on the removeable cover. Makes sense right? So the total comes to 225 dollars!!! I looked at him like he had a rotted transom growing out of his head and politely said... ummm, I'll be back another day. So my challenge is this. I can't find these "throw-away" pumps online and I don't see any posts referencing them. Any idea if a rebuild kit is available for them or what they are actually called? I would like to take it apart, replace diaphrams and clean up the covers so they seal good, but I don't dare do it til I know if parts are available or atleast find them here on iboats cheaper. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Pump Challenge for ya?!?

yes, those pumps are $100.each. i do not find a rebuild kit for it. maybe, johnson dealer. it is a good pump, if still pumping leave them alone.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Here's what you need:
pump cover..................part # 322759...................$ 12 ea
cover gasket................part# 312679....................$ 6 ea
fuel pump repair kit........part # 393103...................$18 ea

GatorMike

Ensign

Are you talking the little mechanical fuel pump that bolts on the side of the powerhead? I had an old 1.6 litre seadrive I rebuilt back in the 90s. The vro had gone bad and caused my engine problems so I replaced it with one of those fuel pumps and just started mixing my oil. If that is the case they sell a fuel pump rebuild kit for those things. Check an evinrude parts diagram and you should find that kit under the fuel pump diagram. Just make sure you check a diagram without a vro otherwise you won't find that pump.

tashasdaddy

on those bigger motor, they use the 2 of the older 3 hose fuel pumps inline. one for lift, the other to pressurize.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you very much, all of ya. Reading the last reply, are you suggesting i need to be cautious to ensure the parts I buy fit a 2 hose pump rather than a 3? If so, thanks for that bit of info, i probably wouldnt of even realised it. I will look here on iboats for a different motor that uses these pumps. I know i need new cover gaskets, maybe get the covers too. Thanks again

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dang it! I ran the numbers at my local evinrude / johnson dealer and said discontinued as of 1984!!! LOL, just my luck

daselbee

Commander

Dang it! I ran the numbers at my local evinrude / johnson dealer and said discontinued as of 1984!!! LOL, just my luck

That dealer is being obstinate. Those numbers that Fazt posted all supercede to good, current numbers.

Go to www.bestboatparts.com, no need to log in, just put the numbers he posted in the search box. All come up as newer valid numbers, and all are reasonably priced.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Obstinate? Oh great, now I need to join Websters Forum too LOL. I will take your advice and check them out. Thank you very much. I did go home on lunch and clean and flip the gasket and the covers seals good now, but will need the spares probably sooner than later. Thanks again

tashasdaddy

your motor will use two, 3 line pumps. that should be what is already there. pulse line, in line, out line.

these are the part #s for new pumps.
Part Number: 0385784
Description: FUEL PUMP AY
Equivalent Parts: 0395712,0398385,0433390,0438559

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can get the VRO style pump that does not have the oil side and is fuel only for about $300, and there is a rebuild kit for them for about $100
http://www.dixiemarinesales.com/detail.aspx?ID=2
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html
The part numbers that Tash gave you should work. I need to go into the fuel pump business, I know I could mass produce those things for about $20 a piece. and sell them like hotcakes for half price at $150..get rich quick.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think many items in the marine industry could be sold MUCH cheaper! I greatley appreciate all the help and I can't for the life of me figure out how you guys have so much info so fast. Thank you very much. Next question is hooking up a tach. Thought ought to be fun to figure out.

tashasdaddy

should be a 3 wire plug on your control, to plug tach into.