Cracked rods & alignment tool for '57 Lark

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Are the rod bevels on a '57 35hp Lark hand beveled or machine beveled? The OMC Alignment tool is required for the machine beveled rods...but could damage the rods if they are hand beveled...correct? I actually ended up buying the tool (relatively cheap @ $100) but am realizing that the alignment tool could be detrimental on hand beveled rods.

Which do I have & how can I tell?

Mas

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cracked rods & alignment tool for '57 Lark

No tool is required for those connecting rods. Simply make sure that the rod cap is indeed the cap for the specific connecting rod and that the dimple on the cap matches the dimple on the rod. It'll snap in perfectly.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice thing about OMC's. No special tools required to rebuild them. Just good common sense and a basic mechanical aptitude.:D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I glad to have clarification. I guess I committed assumicide in thinking all cracked rods required the tool. Money not wasted, however, since my '94 20 HP Rude requires the tool. I'm not planning on using the tool any time soon since the 20s a good runner!

Mas

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Look at the grain marks on the side of the rod assembly (where the split is).

Vertical grain = No tool needed

Horizontal grain = Tool should be used BUT in a pinch, the alignment can be performed without it..... just takes a little patience.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Joe,

I'll check it out!

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the grain marks on the side of the rod assembly (where the split is).

Vertical grain = No tool needed

Horizontal grain = Tool should be used BUT in a pinch, the alignment can be performed without it..... just takes a little patience.

Vertical meaning "roughly parallel to the split or perpendicular?
Mas

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We've found that the tool can actually make things more difficult and the rod can easily be misaligned with the tool. The old fashioned way seems easier and better.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I guess not ever having "aligned" a cracked rod, I'm a bit cautious and do not want to mess things up...

In the end, my fingernail should not catch the seam!

Mas

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A cracked rod is actually very easy to align. The theory is that no 2 caps & rods end up the same, each crack is different. Keep the caps with the correct rods, line up the little points and it's pretty easy, no big deal.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Vertical meaning....... with the rod in a vertical upright position, the grain would be running up and down at the split..... on the rod, past the split and traveling down a portion of the cap, on the extreme side portion of the rod/split.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Vertical meaning....... with the rod in a vertical upright position, the grain would be running up and down at the split..... on the rod, past the split and traveling down a portion of the cap, on the extreme side portion of the rod/split.

OK..parallel to the length of the rod!

Thanks Joe