Power steering belt

Galaxyman

Cadet
Hello to everyone. Please help me with something. I need to know what length/size belt I need for my power steering pump on my 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. Thanks for the help in advance.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Power steering belt

I'd take the old one to Napa and match it up if there are no numbers on it. Otherwise check the manual that is available in the adults only section.

Galaxyman

Cadet

Yeah, I thought the same, but I don't have the original belt on the boat. I was hoping someone would know.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With the little informtion you have, there is no possible way of telling what belt you need. The Merc SN for your engine would be a good start, but then, it could also depend on design model, type brackets, etc.
Don't forget, things change from year to year, just like a car. A 260hp Mercruise is not the same for every year.

Galaxyman

Cadet

I should have listed I have a 1986 5.7L 260 and the power steering is mounted at the top right if looking at the front of the engine. The engine number I got was B453879. Does this help? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your SN shows your engine to actually be a 1987, 260. Which is not uncommon in boats, they often have older or newer engines than the year of the boat itself.
Anyway. If you have a cast iron PS pump bracket, or a stamped steel bracket with a 5-1/2" circulation pump pulley, then yo need merc belt PN 57-37619Q.
If you have a stamped steel PS pump bracket with a 7" pulley, then you need belt # 57-816295Q.
Before you install them, make sure all of the pulleys are clean and free of rust in the V groove, as rusty pulleys will eat up a belt like a disc grinder.

Galaxyman

Cadet

Thanks DonS. That really helps and I appreciate you looking the s/n up.

Galaxyman

Cadet

Don S, based on that s/n what manual do I download from the Adult Only section? Thanks.