Auto mechanic advice

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 firebird and the temp gauge quite working.
Is it safe to assume that the coolant temp sensor is bad?
Is there a way to check it?
Resistance check maybe?

Thanks

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Auto mechanic advice

Does the gauge read hot or cold? If you know were the sending unit is for the gauge disconnect the wire to it and the gauge should do a sweep with the key on. If the gauge does not move try grounding the wire. If the gauge still does not sweep you probably have a bad wire with the possible of a bad gauge. As a rule gauges don't usually have any issues. If the gauge does sweep probably bad sending unit.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I will try tomorrow........the gauge is bottomed out on the cold side.....like it is when the ignition is off.....doesn't move at all when starting car or when driving

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its a little more difficult than that. The ECM reads the sender and then the ECM controls the gauge. Both sender and gauge could both be fine. With my scan tool and software, I can read the temp directly from the diagnostic port and that is what you need to find or find someone who has the equivalent tool.

Before I would spend alot of money I would just go get and aftermarket temp guage and use it.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before I would spend alot of money I would just go get and aftermarket temp guage and use it.

that would be great but most of the time the ecm reads coolant temp intake temp and o2 temps to keep it running properly when you take one out it defaults to a limp mode and should set an engine light.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

unplugged temp sensor and checked it.....gauge pegged high and then plugged back in and it works great now.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Have a bigger problem now, car won't turn over .....believe it is security related.
Security light has been on since I bought the car a few weeks ago.
I was putting new plugs and wires on it today, when I tried to start it with hood open it wouldn't start and now no matter what i do i can not get it to start.
I don't believe the starter is engaging.
Security light does not flash....just stays on all the time.

puddle jumper

Captain

unplugged temp sensor and checked it.....gauge pegged high and then plugged back in and it works great now.

Glad temp gauge was an easy fix. Probably a bad connection. Can,t help with the security system. You will have to find the reset procedure.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This the factory security system? First thing I would try is disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 15 minutes. Then reconnect and see what happens.

How long have you owned this car?

Jeep Man

Commander

You may have to pull the fuse to kill the security system to get the car to start. My Saturn was that way. There was a time when the horn didn't work. If the security system was in a "tripped" state, the ignition was dead.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

left battery disconnected overnight and still the same....have tried relearning the bcm still not it.
I was able to get it fired up today but only by jumpering the starter relay.

I now have another problem (yea not a good week)
Bad miss.....misfire on cylinder 3....just got done putting in plugs and wires.
Double and triple checked wires, I know plug gap is correct, checked primary and secondary resistance on coil pack.
Going to do compression check tomorrow......any other suggestions?

Hooked up to Snap -on computer today and everything else seems to be operating correctly, just have misfire on cylinder 3