Automotive Steering Wheel on my Boat?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can we get $20-$30 13-15" steering wheels for our boats like the ones that Autozone sells on their shelves? I'm just looking for a 13" Chrome 3 spoker with the Black Foam grip.......

I have the original Invader Plastic wheel on my boat now and I want to dress it up a little with the custom interior......I was able to pull the fake aluminum decal off of the spokes of my current wheel....I'll post a picture of the OEM wheel and see if anyone can give me tips on just dressing up this one too so that I can weigh the options a little of repairing VS. replacing.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Automotive Steering Wheel on my Boat?

unless you like rust get plastic or stainless..... neither is common in the auto parts store

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Kevin,

what do you think about what I should do to clean up the OEM wheel?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Gary,

that is something I was looking for.......still would like some ideas for cleaning up and possibly painting my original wheel....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That is an option too...lightly sand and paint with that Duplicolor plastic bond paint.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to just purchase a new 13" one and keep the 15" OEM Invader wheel for someone else who decides to restore one of these old boats.........

So if my budget is $75 for a new wheel.......what do you think I should get?

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only suggestion is to get something that doesn't ahve metal where you will be putting your hands. HOT on a sunny day.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree....which is why it has to have a black OR blue soft grip

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw, + interesting.... this may make you and me think less of our oem steering wheels.

IMG_3660.jpg

sure look to be exactly the same wheel.. except for mine says aristocraft where yours says invader..

to me it means that someone supplied these wheels to the oem who put their emblem on the center of them.

i know i got a detmar rack and pinion steering. i've not looked to see a mfg of the steering wheel but to me, it's obvious it's not invader or aristocraft...

the hair ties hold my chrome on as of now. :eek:

scipper77

Commander

I know you have already ordered a replacement wheel but I am very curious if you could use paint stripper on the metal to prep it for repainting and then use a polishing wheel to bring back the plastic grip part.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

scipper, none of the wheel is metal, it's all plastic. I'm sure I could use GooGone or similar to get the glue off of it, then wipe it down to prep it for paint. But, I'm just going with the new one I purchased now.

ziggy, I guess it's just one more thing that tells me that it's OEM, but not Invader brand. My chrome stickers were coming off too, which is why I removed them....but it's much worse without them!

mphy98

Lieutenant

Wow some of those wheels are dirt cheap and would make a great upgrade to most older boats. I will be ordering one this spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm happy with the one I got.....now I have to pick a LUXURY one out for my '74 Glastron Carlson I just bought today!

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go with a nice chrome chain-link one :D