88 150 Voltage Reg.

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am currently replacing all the ignition components on my outboard, all except the voltage regualtor. I have read many posts here on totally removing it and keeping the battery maintained. Is it a good idea to do so, I sure don't want a junk reg. to mess up any of the expensive items I am installing. I usually don't run this engine very hard or very long, just spot to spot. But, might use it for some tubing this year.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88 150 Voltage Reg.

The manufacturer put a regulator on the engine for a purpose - to control the electrical system so it doesn't boil batteries and fry electronics. If it wasn't necessary it wouldn't be there.

j_martin

Admiral

If it was necessary, the manufacturer wouldn't NLA it, or at least third party suppliers would carry it.

They work. They are a shunt regulator that converts extra power to heat. The new ones are switchers that just don't tap unneeded power from the stator to start with, and generally run much cooler.

What to do. If it's working, you can leave it on. If it fails, either low or high voltage, remove it and don't worry about it. Either way, maintain your battery, and be sure the 20 amp fuse on the engine is in place and in good shape.

hope it helps
John

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. I will leave it for now, last I checked it was working fine, and all connections are good, no sign of heat. Thanks for the info.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it was necessary the manufacturer wouldn't NLA it?????????? The engine is 22 years old and I would bet there are other parts that are no longer availble as well as some that are still available but with different part numbers which happens all the time. If the old regulator fails, install the newer design.

j_martin

Admiral

If it was necessary the manufacturer wouldn't NLA it?????????? The engine is 22 years old and I would bet there are other parts that are no longer availble as well as some that are still available but with different part numbers which happens all the time. If the old regulator fails, install the newer design.

Two points:
The rectifier is available.
They produced many engines without the regulator from the factory.

I agree, the no reg setup is mickey mouse, but it's by design, and actually doesn't even lessen battery life with the caveat the battery is properly maintained.

And also, if the regulated circuit is not properly fused, it becomes a fire hazard. The rectifier will self limit (burn out to open) internally.

just my 02
John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Your regulator can be replaced with any of the newer 5 or 6 wire recifier/regulators if you feel there might be an issue. The 5 wire are 2 yellow, 2 red and 1 gray or 2 yellow, 2 red and 1 black, (use a yellow for the tach instead of gray). The 6 wire are 2 yellow, 2 red, 1 gray, 1 black but are often referred to 5 wire also.

I prefer the later 6 aka 5 wire. The black is a ground and I like having a ground I can position optimally. The two red wires have a different purposes, the smaller one gets feedback from the battery and is called the voltage sensing lead. The other is the DC charging lead. They are both tied together at the main battery positive lead, (usually). The smaller sensing lead gives the regulator feedback from the battery and tells charging side how much juice the battery needs. This helps to prevent overcharging, which is the oxymoron that J_Martin and Silvertip are both elluding to when talking about not needing a regulator.

The two yellow wires accept A/C input from the two yellow wires comming from the stator. The gray wire is for your tach and is protected from voltage spikes that cause errratic tach movement. You can also tap into eithier (not both) of the yellow wires for the tach but depending upon the condition of your flywheel magnets, grounds, stator, etc, you could see some erratic movement, (that's not all that common but it happens).

If it was me, I'd run one but it would be a newer 6 wire. My 02 Cents.

Dukedog

Captain

John, I see tha fuse you are talkin' about. That is a total ign. fuse that includes tha reg. Not just tha reg by itself. So its not fused by itself, right? Thats why it didn't compute.
Just 'cause it went NLA doesn't mean its a bad part at all. After market has no call for 'em. When and if they go bad most people just remove 'em and go on. If they were a problem they would have went away just like tha pos water cooled regulator. They sure wouldn't have kept 'em around on tha High Performance motors like they did..................JMO

Tha battery maintance works fine but............ A lot of tha newer electronics will shut down at too high a voltage. Some in tha 15 ta 16 volt range. Just something ta consider...........