1972 Lund 14' Project

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice
Just thought I would post my project. Ill update as I go and see if there are any tips or ideas along the way. Thanks for any input.

We decided to go with normal 2x4's for the frame and then some pressure treated on any framing that is going to have constant contact with water. Every piece will get a fiberglass resin coating before the top goes on.

The middle bench is going to be a live well. Is it necessary to have a bilge pump for the live well or can it just be water with an aerator? Also, I have been trying to research to figure this out, but if you have a bilge pump to pump out the water of the live well, what do you use to fill it back up? for instance if you wanted to change the water while out on the boat.

I'll keep updating when more work is done.

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0009 (2).JPG
    PICT0009 (2).JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CompartmentsBack.jpg
    CompartmentsBack.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1972 Lund 14' Project

The aerator pumps water into the livewell, gravity or a bilge pump puts it back in the lake.

Pressure treated wood eats aluminum as it has copper in it, so regular exterior grade lumber is best to use after it's sealed with epoxy.

Nice little rig:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes, absolutely keep PT away from aluminum.

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, thanks for the warning! That could have been bad. Is it ok to use outdoor pressure treated plywood for the top of the platforms if it has no contact with the aluminum?

tallcanadian

Captain

Not sure your fixation on pressure treated plywood. Marine or exterior grade will suffice and like previously mentioned coat it with epoxy. Or you can glass it and have it last for years. In some intances fiberglass resin won't adhere to well to pt plywood. Great ideas though. Good luck.

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

I had already bought the pt plywood and didn't wanna have to mess with borrowing a truck again to return it and get marine/outdoor plywood. I went to Lowes where I live, and they didn't have marine grade plywood, or outdoor grade, all they had was the pressure treated.

Here are some pics from day 2, got pretty much all of the framing done until I ran out of 2x4's and screws. Ended up doing some carpet work on the middle bench which is going to be the live well.

Attachments

• jigday2b.JPG
    jigday2b.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • jigday2c.JPG
    jigday2c.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
  • frontframelabled.jpg
    frontframelabled.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

Question: Does anyone know a good place to buy hatch pulls? For different compartments, something that would be flush with the wood but allow access. I looked it up at bass pro shops and they are $4 a pop. Just checking if anyone knew a better price someone else before I order. Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I went to Lowes where I live, and they didn't have marine grade plywood, or outdoor grade, all they had was the pressure treated.

I guarantee they have exterior grade. They may not have a giant tag saying outdoor grade but if you cruise down the plywood aisle you'll see they mark some as "for indoor projects only" or "for indoor or outdoor projects".

I like these hatch pulls http://www.iboats.com/Flush-Pull-Small/dm/view_id.39789

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

FishHunter007, I like you're plan. I will caution you on weight though, when you add up all of those 2X4's, plywood, fasteners, epoxy and other misc stuff you might be looking at a bit of weight. Thus not leaving you much wiggle room for accessories and crew. ;)

I agree with EZ you're Lowes surely has outdoor stuff, just as someone. Also if sealed up properly with the epoxy, you will have no worries about rot.

Jeff

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

Got pretty much all of the platforms and compartments done and carpeted. Ran out of carpet for one, but will have to do that sometime soon. Next will be a new paint job on the interior. What kind of paint do I need for the interior???

After that will be all of the electronics. Can anyone recommend any ideas for a control panel for all of the switches? There is going to end up being about 5 of them. The idea is to have 2 batteries (had issues last year running one dead after hours of trolling) and we want to be able to have a switch to control which battery we are running off. I am assuming if I put a switch on both negatives from the batteries before they reach the panel with fuses that directs what goes where (not sure what its called) then I would be able to do this. Any comments or ideas are very welcome. Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• backcarpet.JPG
    backcarpet.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • frontcarpet.JPG
    frontcarpet.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • jigcarpet.JPG
    jigcarpet.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 0

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

It does look like a very nice project and it looks like your doing a super job but I agree with you wvmedic about the weight. I'm surprised no one else has said anything about it. That looks like an awful lot of weight in that boat. Any idea how much weight you have added?

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

I have not checked the total added weight as of yet. Everything I have added is currently removable in case I need to for weight. As far as weight goes, is it more of a concern of speed? or sinking the boat? or both? I don't have a lot of experience with boats, so any info is much appreciated.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

It is a matter of freeboard foremost....speed also will be affected. The more weight you add to the boat, the lower it will sit in the water. You could end up with very little freeboard if you add too much weight. Does it still have the weight capacity label? I've had similar 12 and 14 ft boats and it just looks like you've added a lot of weight. What is the beam (width) of your boat? I'm assuming it is a vee bottom correct ?

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

That label no longer exists on the boat. The boat is 4 1/2 feet wide at is widest point. The attached picture is of the bottom. Not sure if that is considered a v or not.

Attachments

• carpetmiddle.JPG
    carpetmiddle.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Someone might give you an approx weight capacity on your boat in this post. Most 14 ft aluminum boats would be pretty similar. Or you could ask in another post if you don't get an answer here. How many people do you plan on putting in your boat when you take it out? What size and kind of motor (gas..electric) will you be putting on it? If you put it in the water and it sits too low you'll have to start removing stuff. But it might be ok also. Lots of variables.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That Lund would be considered a semi-V due to the fact that the hull's deadrise flattens out toward the stern. You are adding some weight and the weight is higher than the boat's center of gravity, so stability may be impacted.

My 12' AeroCraft gets weighted down pretty quickly. It's rated for a 7.5hp outboard, 3 people and 650lbs total. With a 5.5hp, gas tank, two guys, fishing gear, trolling motor and deep cycle battery she sits fairly low in the water.

This is fine with me since I only take her out on flat water like small lakes and rivers with slow current when she's fully laden.

One major area of concern will be sitting low in the water to the point where you may take on water at the transom when decelerating. I can kill the motor after running wide open and haven't had this happen, but you will want to test it out to see the physics involved.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I saw your other posting and the responses on the weight capacity of your boat. I was surprised at the suggested capacity. I didn't think it was that high. I was thinking more like 650-700 lbs. I do think that some of those boats they mentioned may have a wider beam than yours though giving them a higher capacity. Maybe my concern about your weight problem is unfounded. But you do need to consider what else is going in and on the boat. The weight capacity includes...motor, fuel and tanks, batteries (2 could easily weigh 70-100lbs) people, equipment, water in live and bait wells, anchor, your dog :D...etc. Liquids weigh approx 8 lbs/gal so your gas and water in bait/live wells can add up. Also you don't need much freeboard if you're only taking it on the local pond with no other boating activity. But if you're going to be on a lake that can have waves, or chopppy water from other boaters or jetskis, you're going to want more freeboard. On my lake it can be a perfectly calm day but the chop from boating activity can make my day miserable in my 12 footer. Like I said before it looks like a you've done a super job and I hope everything turns out well.

FishHunter007

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate all the input. I think what I will end up doing is leaving the framework removable, or easily unscrewed until we can get the boat out on the water and do some testing on the freeboard. Also probably wait on the livewell as well. That way, we can get it out on the water with 2 people, and then have another person get in just to test out the effects of the additional 150 - 200 pounds. I am assuming that between all the 2 x 4's, plywood, etc, we have probably added around 150 pounds. We had 3 people on the boat last year with no problem, so I'm thinking it should be good with 2 people, but it will be nice to get a real test on it.

The next step in the project is painting the interior, and then electrical work. What kind of paint is recommended for interior paint? I was looking online and there seems to be quite a variety of types of paint.

I attached a picture of the basic wiring diagram I am trying to go with for electrical. Does it look like it will work ok? I don't have much experience with boat wiring. Again, thanks for everyone's input!

Attachments

• Wireingdiagram1.jpg
    Wireingdiagram1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

I think what I will end up doing is leaving the framework removable, or easily unscrewed until we can get the boat out on the water and do some testing on the freeboard. Also probably wait on the livewell as well. That way, we can get it out on the water with 2 people, and then have another person get in just to test out the effects of the additional 150 - 200 pounds.

I think that is a great plan:)...once you are on the water you'll immediately get a feel for the handling, stability and balance of the additional weight.

I love having my removable decking in my 12' tinny since we actually portage the little vessel around fallen trees in my river and it makes the boat get pretty muddy. Take the deck out, spray with a hose and she's cleaned up quickly.