Locks for?

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it wise to buy locks for the hitch and trailer? New at this and not
sure if it is necessary. If you lock them, someone can still take the
nut off the ball and still take the boat, unless you weld the nut.

Thanks Don

nlain

Commander
Re: Locks for?

Locks will slow them down a little, but the thief that is really going to steal your boat and trailer will come prepared as in, Bolt cutters to cut the lock, torch, probably will not take the time to unscrew the nut from the ball. I would say it depends on the boat theft rate where you are. Usually theives will take what is in the boat, electronics, fishing gear, etc, or steal the complete rig, truck, trailer and boat. I have a lock on my trailer hitch and spare tire, all that other stuff goes in the house.

Ronder

Cadet

If 'they' want it, they will get it. But Trailer Wheel Locks, Trailer
Coupler Locks slows them down.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You would need a lock for the receiver pin (if you have a receiver style hitch). You would need to weld the ball nut as well as the coupler adjustment nut. Tack welding the coupler to the trailer tongue is also necessary if the coupler is bolted to the tongue. You then need a coupler lock. Wheel locks will be of value only if they prevent removal of the wheel. Thieves are dumb, but they aren't stupid so they carry whatever they feel they need to make off with your stuff. In the end, if they really want it, they will figure out a way to get it.

ziggy

Admiral

Is it wise to buy locks for the hitch and trailer?
in this day and age. you bet. anything ya can do to slow the loosers down. or make it hard enough to steal your stuff that they go and and steal someone elses stuff, who don't have locks... locks are a small investment in the big picture for boating i think. easy to do too..

Tyme2fish

Commander

Just try to slow them down and discourage illegal activity. I have a locking pin and always put a padlock on the coupler and a padlock with chain for my spare trailer tire. It gives me a little peace of mind but as said before, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.:mad:

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

A lot would depend on your location and what is registered in your state. If it is registered and reported then when someone tries to register it again it would show up stolen. Locks to slow them down, I agree. There is probably not a big enough market for salvage boat and trailer parts to make it worthwhile to chop them up. More likely to steal your truck and the boat just happens to be attached. In my state they don't register trailers so they are big theft items. Especially jet ski and utility types. Four wheelers are the same way.

rexmitchell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Locks are about 20 bucks for the trailer, well worth it IMO, if you are storing your boat for a while, remove the wheels and put the boat on jacks, that really will slow someone down.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

locks keep honest people honest....everybody else will get it if they want it....but I agree for a small investment why not?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i always lock my tongue latch. the reason, kids we assume, went thru the launch parking lot, and opened every hitch latch, they could. the 1st guy to load was not happy, when his trailer tongue, went thru the rear glass of his Excalade.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i wouldn't weld your ball nut to truck what if you need to pull trailer for lawnmower and ball is different size. A lock will only slow a theif down, and keep a honest man honest. So always lock trailer latch, and what ever you think is needed. You can take tires off during winter, store them put trailer on blocks with boat. if is smaller rig. and put tires back on during fishing season.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agree with all of the above. Locks may slow thieves down or make them want to take an unlocked one but if they want it no lock will stop them. I have hitch lock, ball lock and wheel locks / cables and more importantly I try to park next to a nicer boat / trailer / rig!!

cribber

Lieutenant

I have a receiver lock on my ball mount and a lock on my coupler. These keep honest folks honest and the vandals mostly at bay. Anything beyond that... insurance should take care of the rest. Also, I keep a spare pin in the car and boat for my swing away tongue for the trailer for anyone who wants to go there. I'm not paranoid, just want to make sure I have a great day out on the water with the least hassle.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in this day and age. you bet. anything ya can do to slow the loosers down. or make it hard enough to steal your stuff that they go and and steal someone elses stuff, who don't have locks... locks are a small investment in the big picture for boating i think. easy to do too..

all you can do is make an honest man honest. I lock stuff down, and try to make it harder than the guys rig next to me to steal.

also insurance wise, if you don't have stuff locked or prove that it was forcefully taken you might not be able to file an insurance claim. depends on company though for sure.

too bad these days, nothing is safe anymore!!

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a reciever lock, Lock on the trailer coupler and all they will do is slow someone down. I had some kids remove the reciever pin on my dog trailer one time at a Walmart. I went to leave and thank god for safety chains. I went back in walmart and sprung for a locking pin set for reciever and coupler. We have more problem with mischief than criminals.