fisher marine jon boat 1418

gman223

Cadet
i cant seem to find any info on this boat i think its early to mid 80..what would it compare with in todays jon boats??

it is rated for 15hp can i do anything like adding marine foam, supports and a deck to increase the motor capacity. i want to put at least a 25hp on it...

th_newboat2.jpg

newboat1.jpg

thank you

NYBo

Admiral
Re: fisher marine jon boat 1418

There is nothing you can do to safely or legally increase the HP capacity. You'll have to maximize the performance with the 15 - proper loading, trim, etc.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm running a 25hp mariner on my 1436 jon. I reinforced the transom and moved the fuel tank to the front of the boat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You could reinforce the transom but it would be a real ordeal.

You have do the sides to where the transom meets the gunnels but it really isn't reccomended unless you are an engineer.

You want to almost double the power the boat is rate for so I really don't think you could do it safely.

Finding out you didn't do it right would be really bad as transoms almost always fail at full throttle when they are under th the most load, by the tuime you figure out something is wrong you have a motor at full throttle trying to get in the boat, not good.

As far as the hull itself, jon boats haven't changed much for a long time.

gman223

Cadet

yeah a good 15HP will do i guess.. the weight rating kinda worries me though its 618LB total will adding foam and a deck help or hurt the weight capacity

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Foam only matters when the boat is full of water. Wood for the frame and deck will add weight but if it is attached to the boat it add some buoyancy when the boat is full of water.