Rookie Maxum owner here.

fyrcop

Recruit
Hi, I just went out and bought a 1996 Maxum 2000 SCL with a 3.0 liter engine and a Alpha One Merc Cruiser outdrive. I got a good price on the boat. The engine and outdrive needed some work and maintenance so $$$ was knocked off of the overall price to afford me an opportunity to have them looked at and subsequently tweaked.

When I bought the boat I noticed there wasn't a second battery nor a battery block switch. I want to install a second battery and a switch but am not sure where the boat's common ground is. Can anyone offer any advice on this. If push comes to shove I could follow the ground from the existing battery back to see where it goes but I want to make sure it takes me to the actual common ground and not to a satellite ground that might or might not get overloaded.

In short, I haven't got out there in the garage where I have it parked to work on it to actually check it out in it's entirety. I was hoping for a "short cut" to the answer.

Also, I'm wiring a garmin depth/fish finder and a uniden solara vhf into it... the previous owner(s) left one heckuva birdsnest under the dash. I've isolated several exposed wires and have taped them off but believe they all came from an aftermarket cd, am/fm radio that was installed into it. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has had any real challenges with the wiring on the Maxums. I've always been a fan of the hull... I grew up here in the south Puget Sound, Washington State and have been here since my folks brought us here in 1956. We "explored" the Sound in a 12 foot Elgin, an 18 foot Thompson, an 18 foot Starcraft and a couple of other boats as kids. I bought an 18 foot Bayliner Capri cuddy with a 125 Force o/b but was never quite comfortable with it so I sold it and eventually bought this Maxum.

So far I'm very impressed with it. Are there any suprises you might want to share with me?

Here's some changes I'm contemplating...

> Garmin depth/fish finder (installed this last weekend)
> Uniden Solara DSC VHF w/antenna
> Dual batteries
> Battery switch
> Inverter

...and probably a bit more as time goes on but that's it for now. Any concerns you might have re: compromising the Maxum integrity or design with these modifications?

I'll have the downrigger bases installed next weekend and have already tinkered and installed some good pole holders but getting into the wiring, the common ground, etc., well that's where I ask questions.

Any ideas? Viable shortcuts? Shared experiences you can offer re: Maxum "peculiarities", if any.

Feel free to email me at fyrcop at that yahoo.com place if you see something I shouldn't do or see something I could do differently.

Thanks for your help in advance. Sorry to be so long winded.

Dennis