Transducer location on a 1999 Wellcraft 270 Coastal

jon1178

Recruit
I just bought a 1999 270 Coastal with twin outboards. The previous owner has the transducer mounted on the transom on the outside of the port engine. Since the transducer sits in "dirty" water it never reads accurately over 8 knots. I also noticed that the hull has a step in it a few feet forward from the transom. Can anyone recommend where to mount the transducer. Normally I would mount it between the outboards, but the step in the hull will still put the transducer in turbulent water.
I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transducer location on a 1999 Wellcraft 270 Coastal

You hit the nail on the head and that is to find water that is not turbulent. Nothing wrong in mounting it inside if you are assured that there is solid fiberglas between the transducer and the hull.

An easy way to test spots, is to take a 1 gallon Zip-Lock freezer bag and half fill it with water. Immerse your transducer in the water and sit the bag in different places around the boat as you are running. When you hit the sweet spot, just epoxy it in that spot inside the hull.

Like I have done before and as Bruce 58 mentioned the other day, if you want to know how much attenuation you are suffering from your location, when the boat is still in the water, have a look at an underwater view both in the bag and then over the side with the bare transducer dangling in the water. You'll have your answer and may be pleasantly surprised at how well sound travels thru FG.

Mark

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 1999 270 Coastal with twin outboards. The previous owner has the transducer mounted on the transom on the outside of the port engine. Since the transducer sits in "dirty" water it never reads accurately over 8 knots. I also noticed that the hull has a step in it a few feet forward from the transom. Can anyone recommend where to mount the transducer. Normally I would mount it between the outboards, but the step in the hull will still put the transducer in turbulent water.
I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks
If I am reading your post correctly, it's no wonder your transducer reads only at 8 knots if it is mounted where I think it is. Beyond 8 knots, its probably out of the water and that could be why it was intentionally mounted there. The transom is arguably the best place to mount your transducer for optimum performance , unless maybe you're talking about a "through hull". "Shoot-thru" always comes with trade-offs if you can locate a good spot for a sounding you can settle for.

Mount the transducer on the step portion of the hull if you want your electronics to read at speed. "Dirty water" turbulence is found in any slipstream created by a boat of any hull design, and that is the most misunderstood of concerns in proper transducer management. How you mount your transducer and the ability to adjust it properly is paramount. A device is made specifically for that purpose. You're welcome to email me.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The transom is arguably the best place to mount your transducer for optimum performance

Your opinion which I have proven wrong (for me) in half a dozen instances.

Mark