What kind of rivets for fiberglass boat cap?

giterdone72

Seaman
What type of rivets are used to put the rubrail/cap back on a Bayliner?:confused: galv,alum,s/s ? How long also? I am getting ready to pop the top on my bayliner capri to replace the transom and want to make sure i have them ahead of time. Also how hard is it to reuse the rubber, it seems pretty pliable any luck reusing it?
Thanks in advance
Steve

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What kind of rivets for fiberglass boat cap?

I have no experience with bayliners or rivets but was thinking you may be able to use screws to reattach the cap. That is what my cap on my Mark Twain was attached with and that is what I am reattching it with.
I dont know that if you do have rivets securing the cap, if it would be 'safe' to replace them with screws....
As for the rubber rub rail insert I have seen people re-use it and hopefully I will be able to re-use mine as it isn't all that cheap to buy! I have heard of laying it out in the sun on a hot day will loosen it up a bit. I suppose you could heat it by articicial means if heat isn't in your forecast-I know it will be a while before I see any!!

Hope this helps!

giterdone72

Seaman

just rained here yesterday and I found water in the bilge of my covered boat. After searching i found that my transom which i inspected and thought was good, is rotten from the top! i hadn't heard of that before, but it turns out that the rear splashwell drain tube (?) was not put in correctly and water draining out of the back it was not sealed letting water into the top of the transom. It rotted the top 6 inches where the motor is clamped (o/b) and came through the inner skin of the transom. but the bottom is still solid.

giterdone72

Seaman

still seeking advice on rivet type for rub rail & cap:confused:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Stainless steel or aluminum rivets but, the size (diameter and grip range) depends on what you remove.

Once you remove one by drilling off the head just match it.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just drilled out the rivets on my 84 bayliner center console and they were aluminum... some of them spun so they are a pain to get out and you might have to drill new holes. In terms of re-using the extruded rubber insert, that is what I plan on doing... I think I might just clean it up as best I can and use some tire conditioner to get it looking new again and offer some UV protection.

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just rained here yesterday and I found water in the bilge of my covered boat. After searching i found that my transom which i inspected and thought was good, is rotten from the top! i hadn't heard of that before, but it turns out that the rear splashwell drain tube (?) was not put in correctly and water draining out of the back it was not sealed letting water into the top of the transom. It rotted the top 6 inches where the motor is clamped (o/b) and came through the inner skin of the transom. but the bottom is still solid.

oh thats might be spendy.

giterdone72

Seaman

Thanks for the advice all, as usual. the transom fix won't be too bad as i am going to do it myself w/ exterior ply glassed in. just did a partial deck replacement and missed the transom problem till now oh well at least i know the stringers are still good