Aluminum sheet patch for my damaged boat

Jetster1

Recruit
I am going to try to cover and bolt patches over my cracks in the back of my boat.Where do you guys find it at and what diameter works best?I cant seem to find any in town.As you can see its pretty bad,that crack runs all along that bondo.Its water proof right now,but gotta cover it so when I bottom out it doesn't poke another hole in it.

boat1.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aluminum sheet patch for my damaged boat

I'm not qualified to offer any answers, but with it being accessible as it appears, I would try and find someone to tig weld it and be done...again just my thoughts.

Bondo

Staff member

and what diameter works best?

Ayuh,... You'll be hard pressed to find aluminum flatstock in Any Diameter....
But,...
I'd guess .063" would be a matching Thickness of the hull, for patches...

Jetster1

Recruit

Thanks for the fast reply's guys!I called around and found an aluminum shop close that has it.The thing is Bondo,this aluminum is going to be a brace as well so it wont dent again (sorta like a rock proof shield).It takes a beating cause I bottom out at high speed sometimes,will the 1/16" work or should I go up to the 1/8"?

As ya can see in my pic I am going to have to piece it out,not run a solid panel due to the runners down the bottom of the boat.Is it easy to bend and cut it myself,or should I get the measurements and have the machinist do it?

Thanks

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if it were mine i would think about an inside patch that would be water tight.
marine-tex, let cure, sand and then rivet in a single patched bent to fit embedded in 5200.
which everway you decide i would do it inside.
THEN... since you seem to be skimming that "skinny" water i would look into putting a sacrifical peice over the outside that could be removed and replaced, using stainless steel nuts and bolts sealed in 4200

Jeep Man

Commander

Using bondo is not going to do it. I would be inclined to clean it out, seal it with 3M 5200, let it cure well and patch over with aluminium using rivets and more 5200. Using round stock or a piece of 1/2 inch steel pipe and a small ball peen hammer, you can easily form the aluminium sheet to the contours of your boat. Having the crack tig welded before patching over is even better if you have access to one.

Jetster1

Recruit

Using bondo is not going to do it. I would be inclined to clean it out, seal it with 3M 5200, let it cure well and patch over with aluminium using rivets and more 5200. Using round stock or a piece of 1/2 inch steel pipe and a small ball peen hammer, you can easily form the aluminium sheet to the contours of your boat. Having the crack tig welded before patching over is even better if you have access to one.

You actually think I could make it a 1 piece fit? I think it would be hard because room forthat rail would have to go right up to the "straight" bend for the back of the boat.Really good idea though,would do that if I can.

if it were mine i would think about an inside patch that would be water tight.
marine-tex, let cure, sand and then rivet in a single patched bent to fit embedded in 5200.
which everway you decide i would do it inside.
THEN... since you seem to be skimming that "skinny" water i would look into putting a sacrifical peice over the outside that could be removed and replaced, using stainless steel nuts and bolts sealed in 4200

Its got sealant on the inside and out right now,and water-proof.Just trying to protect the outside to keep it that way.Yea I run a real shallow river with it,held up alot of years for me.Just falling apart with age like us!!!!:D

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there reason why i suggested what i did was the ribs on the bottom would make it hard to do a proper patch, would remain watertight.the sacrifical pcs out side would be to just keep it from happening again, you might find a large pcs of alum angle

Jetster1

Recruit

there reason why i suggested what i did was the ribs on the bottom would make it hard to do a proper patch, would remain watertight.the sacrifical pcs out side would be to just keep it from happening again, you might find a large pcs of alum angle

Yep those ribs are a problem,scratching my head to do the right thing.Taking every idea I can get to get it right the first time,thank everyone that posted for there ideas!!!!

My buddy even said why not go up to 1/4" aluminum!!!:eek: So many opinions/options but only 1 solution.......:(