Too early to use boat?

Newbie2009

Cadet
Newbie question here. I own a bass boat with a Johnson 115hp outboard. I live in Missouri and the temps are heading towards the 50's at day and still below freezing at times at night. I would like to hit the lake and was wondering if it is possible to do so as long as each time after fishing I store my outboard in the vertical position allowing any water leftover from fishing to escape and eliminate any freeze issues. I don't have a way of storing it indoors or I would.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Too early to use boat?

If it was in the 50s here I wouldn't be typing this...I'd have taken the day off to get on the water.:D

If it's barely hitting 32 at night you'll be fine. Drain it vertically as mentioned and replace the lower unit oil to be extra careful.

Have fun out there:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Freezing temps make no difference to an OB as long as you tilt it down at some time after its been removed from the water. If there's water in the lower unit oil it is possible for it to crack the housing in a deep freeze. Just getting below freezing for a short period of time at night is no real problem.

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i agree, if you drain it properly you should be fine

5150abf

Vice Admiral

We went Salmon fishing last year, it was 29 when we left and 19 when we got back so the engine will deal with temps you probably wouldn't want to.

The only thing I would do different is to let the engine warm for a couple minutes before you take off but other than that ti doeasn't care about the temp.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well from what I've seen on Lake-Link here in Wisconsin the Walleye fishing has already begun in the Wisconsin River in Madison and our night time temps are still in the teens. The one picture I'd seen looked like there was still iceflows coming down the river but the ramp is open!

Go Fish!

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go.

Just remember that cold water is deadly so wear your life jacket and don't do anything silly when driving.

Have fun!

Newbie2009

Cadet

Thanks guys....I had an older gentleman who lives next to my dad tell me I need to store the motor all the way up not straight up and down. He's a great guy and I would trust him on a lot of things, not only that he repairs boats and is very mechanical. I've read a lot about not having it trimmed all the way because all the water won't escape. I did notice though when I raise it all the way up it appears that more water was able to drain out....any thoughts to this?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Sorry it took me so long to respond..... I was out on the boat :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys....I had an older gentleman who lives next to my dad tell me I need to store the motor all the way up not straight up and down. He's a great guy and I would trust him on a lot of things, not only that he repairs boats and is very mechanical. I've read a lot about not having it trimmed all the way because all the water won't escape. I did notice though when I raise it all the way up it appears that more water was able to drain out....any thoughts to this?

sounds 180 from what I have always heard..

I can tell you this I pull the boat out of the water and after i tie everythign down and get all my stuff out..I tilt teh motor for the transom saver for the trip home...once home i have lowered the motor, and watches at 6 ounces of water run out of the LU.....

I would think letting it hang verticle would allow the most water to drain!!!

I run my boat all winter...as cold as 0 degrees... if we can find open water we use the boat if not we go to the ocean and run the boat...

luckily salt water doesnt freeze hard like fresh water...and i have never had an issue with my motor from freezing..

bob

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

It's no wonder the guy repairs engines when he's giving out that advice. That is the exact opposite of what you want to do with an outboard, never store it in the up position. Not only will the block and LU not drain fully, you will have any rain water collecting in your exhaust housing in the LU.

When you get home lower it and raise it a few times, it will get all the water out, then leave it down for storing.

I am always amazed at the amount of bad info going around, even with outboards being around for almost 100 years.

Also to your original point, as was mentioned, your engine doesn't care what temp you run it in, once it's running it's warm. Make sure your T-stats are in working order and you'll be fine.

GatorMike

Ensign

Here in Florida we used to boat year round. Until this year that is....been too damn cold even here this year.