Starter Solenoid - Or Not???

Kmestep

Cadet
So at the end of last season, the starter solenoid on my 115 HP, 1975 model Evinrude puked. It'd start with a tap of the hammer but that quickly gets old! I brought the boat out of storage this weekend to replace the solenoid but spent many hours to get zero progress. I installed the new solenoid exactly as the old one came out but nothing. Even went so far as to exchange the brand new one for another new one. Still, nothing. I'm getting voltage back at the solenoid but still can't get it to turn over. Starter works as a straight positive connection from the battery to the starter lead works.

What could I be missing here? Is there something else back there that could be broken? I'm sure it's something obvious!!!

Thanks for your feedback!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Solenoid - Or Not???

Postive from battery, along with small red wire to large post. yellow/red wire to small post next to positive large post, black(grounded to block) other small post. large post to starter. if this does not work, then you need to check wiring, and ignition switch.

you can also test by jumping for incoming positive cable to the small post with yellow red wire, solenoid should activate then. also the is a red inline fuse holder, near solenoid, it fuse is blown nothing in the starter circuit will work.

Kmestep

Cadet

Thanks tashasdaddy. We checked the ignition swith (it's brand new, also) just to make sure and it's tests positive. I'll try this configuration tonight and see what happens. On the fuse subject... I blew two when I first hooked the solenoid up over the weekend (not sure how) but haven't blown one since.

Thanks for the help!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid has two small posts which are equally important. One is connected to the engine block by a ground wire; check that one first.

The second small post is connected through the harness to the ignition switch and that provides the positive voltage to activate the magnet in the solenoid.

In order for voltage to flow, the neutral safety switch [A] in the remote control must be closed, so be sure that the throttle arm is in neutral. Sometimes the switch will stick, but shaking the handle may loosen it.

Attachments

• Fuse 40 clean warning.JPG
    Fuse 40 clean warning.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You did replace with a BRP or equal solenoid (not an automotive one), correct?

Kmestep

Cadet

Thanks Ezeke. That diagram is a big help. Hopefully we'll get this worked out tonight.

Kmestep

Cadet

Wilde1j, it was an automotive part, actually. The guy who owned the boat before me had been using it for years and I replaced it with the identical part. Pardon my ignorance but is there that big of a difference between the two?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Some automobile solenoids are grounded through the case; the marine ones use by OMC/BRP are grounded through the second small post.