Wiring LED lights for a newbie!!!

Snookman185

Cadet
I have a '96 Lowe Alum. Bass boat, I am wanting to add some LED lights in the livewells for when I fish at night. I have my rocker switch and I have my marine grade wire but I don't know about the way to wire it. I know where my fuse block is and I am figuring that I have to wire it to there for the positive, but I don't know where my ground block is or where to start looking, and I guess that is where I need the help. Does anyone know where the ground block of for this style of boat or can give me a clue where to look.

I am planning on running my hot to my fuse then to my switch. and my ground from my light to my block to my switch.... is that right?????

I am new at this and I had second guessing myself but I don't want to screw it up either.

Please help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring LED lights for a newbie!!!

Here is a basic wiring diagram for lights. Note that a ground wire goes to a switch ONLY if the switch has an internal light. If it doesn't, you do not connect a ground wire to it. Ground is where you find it. Start at the NEG terminal on the battery. Follow that wire to the console and you wherever it connects, that's the ground bus. Every gauge has a ground terminal on it. That is ground as well.

Basicwiring.jpg

Here is a diagram of a switch with an internal light.

LightedSwitchWiring.jpg

Snookman185

Cadet

I didn't even think about it, the switch that I am using is already installed and has power to it, it also has a light in it. Thanks..... everything seems to go easier when you get a little input and realize that you are over looking something simple.

Thanks again.

Snookman185

Cadet

I went ahead and completed my project, and while I was a it I replaced my original fuse block with a ATC/ATO blade style fuse block and I couldn't be happier. The only thing that I was little disapointed about was that the LEDs that I installed weren't as bright as I was hopeing for, but I for what I am planning on using them for I wont have a problem.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow silvertip, I like that diagram. I am well versed in wiring diagrams and can read them with ease, but I really like that one! nice job!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As someone once said, "flattery will get you everywhere!". Pictures are worth a thousand words so I try to use them in my diagrams. Those who are electrically challenged seem to grasp the concept better than they would looking at a schematic.