55 gallon fuel tank

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 55 gal fuel tank located dead center under my center console, 1986 proline, the boat had sat since last april when I bought it. What do I do with the fuel left inside the tank? plus my gas gauge does not show any reading at all (I do not have the engine mounted yet but battery is hooked up) or doesn't the gauge read without the engine plug ins connected? thanks

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 55 gallon fuel tank

First, as far as your fuel, pull a sample (turkey baster works good), note the color. Should be a little darker than "clear" to a very pale yellow tinge to it. Any darker? Pump it out, use it in your lawn tractor...

Second, remove the ground from the sender on the tank and touch it to the pink wire on the center stud of the sender. The gauge should peg to full. If it does, then you need to pull the sender and see if the float is hung up. If it doesn't, the gauge is no good. But before you decide the gauge/sender are no good, get your meter out and check for continuity between all points. She is an '86 after all, and I can't think her wiring is in the best of shape...

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks so I should get a fuel reading just by turning the ignition switch to on like a car?

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes. Just turning on the key to the run position should activate all your instruments including your gas gauge. When you do the test above you will need to have the key on also.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

on my boat with no engines (i/o) I have no power to dash because power comes through engine harness

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks I think that is the problem, I'm hooking my motor and harness stuff up this weekend and in tracing all the wiring under the helm all the trim tilt and gas gauge stuff is wired together so it must power up when plugged in to the motor, I'd like to know how much old fuel is in the boat that I need to pump out

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Correct -- most boats power the instruments through the engine harness. Without an engine connected, the battery is disconnected and the instruments will not operate.

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will now be mixing my oil and gas in this 55 gal tank, if I in the future go to a four stroke engine on straight gas will I have ruined my existing tank by adding oil to it?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

no a lillte gas/oil mixture won't hurt any thing, less than 5 gallons. There are places that you can have the gas tested/analyzed about 15 bucks.But i would just pull a sample as suggested, make sure you mix first, pull about a pint or so put it in a glass jar, observe color and if it forms layers(thats water)' then put it in a 2stoke engine you know if its any good or not.make sure your test engine is running fine before you swap gas.

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, this boat had a vro pump tank and I removed as per advice of those who know better, once my motor is hooked up should I pour oil in first then pump the gas in? 55gal is alot of gas I want it to be mixed correctly

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Best method is to mix it all befor adding to tank but at a minimum pre mix the oil in a seperate container..... example.... if you are running 50:1 and you are adding 50 gallons.....you will need 1 gallon of oil.... i'd say put half a gallon in a 5 gallon can and add 3 to it..... shake well and add to tank.... repeat .... then add the remaining 44 gallons

I would suggest that if you are mixing your own gas always leave some room in the tank for fuel to slosh and mix.... also don't think that you can mix in spring and run that tank all summer..... mixed gas for a 2 stroke should be used fairly soon after it is mixed

If you are only using 10 gallons in a day I would strongly suggest a pair of portable tanks

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, I have no idea how much fuel daily or by the weekend runnings I'll use, seems like a good 4stroke engine that can use reg gas is much easier to just fill the tank and go. Will I be good for the month on 55gal of mixed fuel if only used saturdays? I mean would it last, I have a 120 johnson on a 20' center console just running around the chesapeake no idea about the fuel economy but if just running to fishing spots and stopping I can't imagine you'd use to much