2000 Larson 206 Lxi Good for Skiiing?

maryshea

Recruit
Does anyone know about the wake of a 2000 Larson 206 Lxi. I am considering purchasing my first boat. We do not want a dedicated ski boat. We are novice skiiers. I am looking for a "kind" wake. My brother has a Sea Ray run about and the wake is a lot bigger than I can handle. This Larson has a 250 hp 5.0 liter volvo penta motor. We will be able to test drive but too cold to test ski. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Larson 206 Lxi Good for Skiiing?

My brother has a larson 226 lxi it has the 350 with a bravo 3 duo prop. The wake is pretty good sized on it, I think because of the douprop though. If your prospective is a non douprop it would probably be fine. My 20' crownline has a 350 with a merc alpha and once up I have the driver trim up just a bit and the wake flattens WAY out, with just the kids up front and a bit of trim up I am getting close to a skiboat wake. I like to be pulled at 34-35 mph. on a ski and can hit it pretty hard without launcing into the air. Put all your weight on the rear foot when going through the wake and it will minimize the impact/launch you get off a wake. I grew up skiing behind a 27 footer with twin volvos you want to talk about a wake scheesh.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Generally speaking, a boat will do only one thing well. This is why there are different boats for fishing, skiing, wakeboarding, cruising, etc. I advise 1st time buyers to think hard about what they really want to do and find a boat to match their sport. Try not to find the boat first and then see whether it will meet your needs.

Your post seems to indicate that skiing is important to you. Larson is a well built boat and a 20 footer is pretty big for skiing. I personally would not ski behind it, but I have gotten rather picky in my old age. Heck, I don't even ski behind my 20' Wellcraft any more. I wait a friend to show up with his tournament ski boat.

There are bowriders that are better suited for skiing. I would look more in the 18' range.

Liledgy

Recruit

Yes, it's good for skiing, For a novice!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its a 20 foot boat with a base weight of 2700 lbs. It will be fine at slalom speeds. You can step up to a tournament ski boat when you are ready to ski at 15 off 30+ MPH through the course. It will be the perfect boat to either find you enjoy all kids of recreational skiing, or to advance with until you are ready for the next level.

skibrain

In terms a recreational boat wake, I prefer outboards over i/o. Typically you've got 500-600 lb less in the back of the boat compared to a stern drive. Fish 'n Skis based on a bass boat hull with shallower V-hull are a pretty sweet set up.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree at slalom speeds you should be fine. I have a 208 LXI and I ski behind it and the wake is fairly low at anything over 25mph. I ski at 33 and the wake is not an issue. I wouldn't call it a tournament wake by any means. I use to own a Master Craft and that my friend was a flat slalom wake. But the flat hull and Lake Hartwell don't make for a good ride for the family. I would say that I'm satisfied with my LXI 208 and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. As Far as recreational skiing it is fine.

jkust

Rear Admiral

A 2700lb 20 footer is lighter than a midlevel 18 footer. In other words that is a feather for a 20 footer even if it had a v6. If that 2700lbs is correct, I have to imagine the wake will be very managable. Plus couldn't you always lengthen the rope regardless?

skibrain

deleted

Last edited:

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no expert but i ski behind my lxi 228 several times week. Also I've never heard any instances that a drive makes the wake its the weight and shape of the hull. I've the a 350 mag and the bravo 3 duo prop and love it...we salom ski, conventional ski, knee board, tube and wake board all behind it and have NO problems. Like meantioned where you weight the boat along with how its trimmed will have a great deal to do with it!! I woudn't ever own anything smaller than a 20' but that's just my personal preference.

Good luck