NOW what do we do??

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I set a live trap in the barn a few weeks ago cause I saw a hole burrowed into some old hay. I thought it was an opossum. A few days ago my better half spotted the opossum in the barnyard, so I got the shotgun and blasted it. Great, no more critter trouble!!
Today I go out to do chores and I noticed the trap, hmmm forgot about that. Then I noticed something in it, something black and white.
th_100_9974.jpg

This is the critter.

I can't really blast it in the barn - horses, concrete, SPRAY!
th_100_9975.jpg

So I get a brainstorm.

th_100_9981.jpg

This is me with my brainstorm.

th_100_9986.jpg

No spray yet!!

th_100_9990.jpg

coming out the door

th_100_9995.jpg

So far so good.

itsaboattime

Re: NOW what do we do??

th_100_9998.jpg

Ok, so now what do I do with him? I don't wanna blast him, they spray when you do that. Talk about a STINK!!!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

22...only ones we ever had spray were due to shotgun.

rainman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heard they make great pets. Maybe Ship to tacklewasher for a congrats present.:D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I did the same thing, called animal control and they came and got it, much to my relief.
I had to retrieve my live trap a couple days later but that was no sweat.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Be careful if you shoot him. His scent gland releases because of a chemical in released from in his skull (head). So if you shoot him in the head you are going to be in for some clean-up.
BP:):cool:

aspeck

Staff member

Take a blanket and hold it up in front of you so the skunk cannot see you. Walk to the trap and cover the trap with the blanket. Now the skunk will not spray what he cannot see. Pick up the trap and take it to a remote location, open the trap and slid the blanket off while backing away. You should be good ... I have never gotten sprayed yet.

itsaboattime

I did the same thing, called animal control and they came and got it, much to my relief.
I had to retrieve my live trap a couple days later but that was no sweat.

They said if they were to come and get it, it would cost me.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Kinda early for him to be out of hibernation, isn't it? If you could somehow get him away from your area and use that long pole you have to release it. As long as he would stay away from the barn. There was a show on cable, "Exterminators" maybe, where a couple of good 'ol southern brothers went out and took care of alot of strange critters. Trying to think if they were in Louisiana. They were always releasing different critters......Let us know how this all turns out. Keep the tomato juice handy.:)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Kinda early for him to be out of hibernation, isn't it? If you could somehow get him away from your area and use that long pole you have to release it. As long as he would stay away from the barn. There was a show on cable, "Exterminators" maybe, where a couple of good 'ol southern brothers went out and took care of alot of strange critters. Trying to think if they were in Louisiana. They were always releasing different critters......Let us know how this all turns out. Keep the tomato juice handy.:)

It could be that them good ole Southern boys are releasing them critters up North.:D:D

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Do to blanket trick then drop him and cage in a tub of water.

itsaboattime

I dug out my old Mossberg .22 and blasted him. He's still in the trap. He did spray though. But it was in the snow and didn't stink that bad, depending on the wind. lol

WIMUSKY

Staff member

It could be that them good ole Southern boys are releasing them critters up North.:D:D

They'd never survive!
10.gif
Don't quote me, but, I thought I saw and ad where the show may be coming back this spring? I personally enjoyed it.....:)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I dug out my old Mossberg .22 and blasted him. He's still in the trap. He did spray though. But it was in the snow and didn't stink that bad, depending on the wind. lol

Chicken... Doesn't sound like you walked up to him yet!:eek:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Probably didn't really spray...more like when you euthanise an animal and sometimes they release/relieve themselves... something you folks who have never put a family pet down should be aware of, if you choose to stay with them till they are gone. Only seen it once in 6 trips, that was once too many thankyou.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Probably didn't really spray...more like when you euthanise an animal and sometimes they release/relieve themselves... something you folks who have never put a family pet down should be aware of, if you choose to stay with them till they are gone. Only seen it once in 6 trips, that was once too many thankyou.

Been there, done that, not fun...........