Hockey question

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
I like hockey but I don't understand it.
I caught the Olympic hockey game from the 3rd quarter on. At first Canada was pushing USA around and the puck was near our goal 80% of the time. Then with 15 minutes left USA took control and the puck was around their goal 80% of the time.
Then in overtime Canada had the puck near our goal nearly the entire time then eventually scored.
What's going on?? Is this some type of prevent defense? After a couple minutes in overtime it was obvious who was going to win. The US team seemed to be playing to keep Canada from scoring instead of trying to score themselves.
Or, can teams just take over and dominate for periods of time?

puddle jumper

Captain
Re: Hockey question

I caught the Olympic hockey game from the 3rd quarter on. At first Canada was pushing USA around and the puck was near our goal 80% of the time. Then with 15 minutes left USA took control and the puck was around their goal 80% of the time.
Then in overtime Canada had the puck near our goal nearly the entire time then eventually scored.
What's going on?? Is this some type of prevent defense? After a couple minutes in overtime it was obvious who was going to win. The US team seemed to be playing to keep Canada from scoring instead of trying to score themselves.

Basically ya that's how the game is played between two very close teams. Like in the end of the third any thing can happen. What you saw there is hockey at its best.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Third period, Canada was playing to not lose. They stopped being as aggressive as they had been, even the first 5 minutes of the third, and let the US back into the game.

They did the same with the Slovaks and I was not surprised to see it. It isn't the same as a prevent defense, but it is a mindset they get into and can't seem to get out of.

OT, they wanted to win again. Aggressive and forcing the play much better.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

That makes me feel better.
I thought the coach came up with that plan to just guard the goal.
Probably nothing better then hockey when something is on the line and the game is close.
Hell of a game.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like most team sports, Hockey is a game of emotion and motivation. Because of their loss to the USA during the tournament Canada was more passionate and more highly motivated, though it was a close thing all the way.

One of the best hockey games I ever watched.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Fastest game, yes game, on ICE.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Hockey is just one of those games where luck and skill can collide to produce some spectacular results, emotions have a great influence on how that puck bounces and who picks its up. I know of few sports where talent/skill/luck/emotion can all come together to produce such great game play. USA getting that last 30 second goal to tie it up is just one example of how wanting something bad enough can make things happen. People argue how coaching and player skill have the most influence but I don't think heart and desire have any less of a factor in how the game turns out in the end.

No other sport makes me jump out of my seat in joy or anger as much as hockey does and if you have ever seen a bunch of 6 year olds play the game on ice with full equipment falling down all the time and watch some young man/girl pick himself up time after time to come back and score that winning goal...I can't help but jump up and down in celebration...to the parents in the stands you would have thought he scored a winning goal in the Olympics or the Grey Cup.

Jonathon Toews lived in my hometown and was the player who scored that first goal in the USA/Canada gold medal game and if you grew up in Winnipeg you knew who that young man was, his heart and desire is legendary. His parents often said they would wake up at 3AM to find him on the rink in the backyard shooting the puck at the net for practice. I've met him a few times and he is a perfect gentleman, proud to say he comes from Winnipeg. You can bet every Winnipeger was screaming at the top of his lungs when that first puck went into the net, his spirit lifts our hearts and soothes our souls.

I don't care what they say, the games about heart and desire...skill and talent is a result of those two things coming together in a perfect storm.;) Asking a Canadian why a game like hockey has so many twists and turns?

Its heart baby...pure heart.:)

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's simply the ebb and flow of the game.

2 gold medals in hockey.

Weeeeeee.

Cheers.

Bigprairie1

Commander

This is a great observation and resulting question.
The answer is yes, this game can swing very quickly in terms of momentum and edge. That is why it is a very good spectator sport. Like I told my buddies with 2 minutes left in the game...it takes less than 8 seconds to get from one end to the other and score...so 2 minutes is a loooooong time in Hockey.
Clearly the U.S showed this by scoring with 20+ seconds left to tie things up prior to overtime.
BP:D:cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what a great game !!! Hockey is addictive.:D

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am 30 and still play hockey(goalie) and i also coach. It may look like a lot of chaos to people who havn't been around it so much, but most of time its under control. One thing a lot of people don't know is there are a lot of plays in hockey just like there is in football. When I was more competitive we used to have a pretty thick playbook with different offenses, defenses, penalty kills, and power plays. Greatest sport on earth in my opinion.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Me neither. It's just seems like officiated chaos (from a southern football fan).

You're not alone...remember the networks trying to appease American viewers when it first spread into the southern states (is that 20+ years ago now?) and people were complaining..."too fast". Then they came out with that technology that changed the colour of the puck depending on how fast it was moving so people could follow it better?!?!

Can't all love the game as much as Chuck. :D We had a few moments in our house last night where everyone was yelling at the top of their lungs. Paper towel was kept in the living room to wipe up the rye and coke stains from the carpet.

On the flipside...baseball, I don't get it (to watch), it would easier put me to sleep than get me off the couch yelling.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Man o man, a lot of Canadians chiming in here! I now owe Pat up at Cedar Point a couple of adult beverages. Not been a hockey fan before, and do not want to steal the thread, but what is icing? Congrats to the Canuks, and will see you this spring.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Man o man, a lot of Canadians chiming in here! I now owe Pat up at Cedar Point a couple of adult beverages. Not been a hockey fan before, and do not want to steal the thread, but what is icing? Congrats to the Canuks, and will see you this spring.

Check out betterhockey.com they have all the rules posted.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I think those of us who love the sport will be more than happy to answer questions. Remember, most of us had a net in the garage that we'd pull out any time more than 4 of us kids were around. Damn cars kept messing up our games though.

Icing. When a player on his side of the center line (red line) shoots the puck into the opposing teams end behind the net. In international hockey, it is called as soon as the puck crosses the line at the end of the rink (in line with the goal line). In NHL, one of the opposing team players, except the goalie, has to touch the puck first. If a player from the team that shot the puck in touches the puck first, icing is not called. A shot on goal cannot be icing.

When icing is called, the face off comes into the end of the players team who shot the puck AND the players on that team cannot change. Whoever was on the ice when the puck was shot down has to stay on the ice while the opposing team can change players.

The intent is to not let someone relieve the pressure but getting rid of the puck. So if you are in your own end and the other team is pressing, you can't just blindly shoot it down the rink.

The exception is when you are short-handed (a player in the penalty box). No icing is called if the team down a player ices the puck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(ice_hockey)

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good explanation, I also wondered about that rule and what it ment.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I think those of us who love the sport will be more than happy to answer questions. Remember, most of us had a net in the garage that we'd pull out any time more than 4 of us kids were around. Damn cars kept messing up our games though.

You waited till there was MORE than 4 lol

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

You waited till there was MORE than 4 lol

No.

Just that if there was more than 4, it was a given. 3 or so and we might toss a football around.

But my neighbour played goal so he'd gear up and I'd take shots at him even if just the 2 of us were around.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

On the flipside...baseball, I don't get it (to watch), it would easier put me to sleep than get me off the couch yelling.

Yep, "six minutes of action crammed into two-and-one-half hours." ~Ray Fitzgerald, in Boston Glove, 1970