Starting problems - Merc 3.0lx

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

Last weekend my boat was struggling to start. I assumed it was the battery as it started from a jump and ran fine. New heavy duty battery went in. Today boat started but cut out before heating up. It then refused to start at all, even via a jump. The engine was turning over really slowly then not at all. Finally all that was left was the clunk from the starter and no turning over. Should I replace the starter? Any advise would be much appreciated!

D.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Starting problems - Merc 3.0lx

First place to start is with the various electrical connections. Also, if you look at the top of the page there is a "sticky" labled "Adults Only" -- Don has posted a good checklist for troubleshooting the starting system.

Bondo

Staff member

Should I replace the starter?

Nope,... Not just yet,... Follow the path lain out by Fishermark 1st....

Removing, sanding, cleaning, reinstalling,+ greasing All of the wiring Ends involved with the whole circuit is, many times, All that's really needed....
Don't forget the Ground path too....;)

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok guys. thanks for that - seems very comprehensive. one more thing - the starter was smoking during this process. is this normal?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

one more thing - the starter was smoking during this process. is this normal?

Nope.

Smoke means heat. Heat means either a bad / loose /corroded connection, or the starter itself is binding somewhere causing the starter to overheat. I still go with a bad connection.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, it was coming from one of the terminals. i've ordered the tester and will hit it next weekend.

cheers guys.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

You will find that that little starter cannot take a constant load of trying to crank that block continuously it will eventually heat up and fry itself. But as said by Bond check,clean,lube and tighten all connections involving that circuit.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,

When replacing the starter which one should I use? Does anyone know the serial/part number for the required starter motor for a 1996 Merc 3.0LX?

Cheers,

D.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,

Found part number - 806965A4. As I live 60 miles from the boat I've got my dad to check and clean terminals today (keeps him busy!) If that doesn't work then check the starter motor and components. I've found a guy who reconditions starters so will probably seek him rather than replace.

I'm glad I entered boat ownership with my eyes wide open otherwise one might get a bit depressed!!!!!! I've booked a ferry to take me, the boat and 3 friends to scotland next week so need to have this sorted by then!

cheers all.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

terminals cleaned and greased and still no joy. my dad connected the + and - from a fresh battery to those on the starter and still nothing. i'm thinking that the starter is at fault. it was however turning very slowly to begin (after being left from yesterday). would a fried starter turn at all?is this typical behaviour for a starter that has failed? yesterday for example, it started initially. after stalling when starting again it started to turn slowly, then slower, then slower until only the clunk was left.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anything is possible, take the starter off and have it tested.
Are you sure the engine turns over ok? Take the spark plugs out and turn the engine over by hand.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think so. it was running last week and briefly yesterday. i'll double check. my dad has just taken the starter to a repair shop. the guy said it's dead and needs replaced. i'll get my dad to turn the engine manually when i'm taking to him later to ensure that that it's not the issue. i'm hoping that the starter motor has just failed thorugh general wear but i'm (semi) prepared for all possible outcomes. :confused:

double check, to turn engine manually - plugs out, socket and breaker bar on pulley and turn?

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes-except 3.0L's don't have a bolt in the crank center so you will have to improvise. 'nutcase

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

ahhhhh - slight problem then!

well, starter will be here in two days. we'll stick it in and soon see if it turns. thanks fellas.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all,

Starter has arrived and has been fitted. My pops has a little doubt as to whether or not he has rewired it properly. He's sent me photos which I've attached. He's a carpenter but not an electrican! I've told him that my good buddies here at iboats could take a look at it for me. I've looked at the wiring diagram in the manual and it seems ok but want to double check before I get him to fire it up tomorrow - my little knowledge makes me wary:redface: Next time i'll take a pic before it's removed.

Does this look right to you fellas?

Cheers,

D

Attachments

• Starter 1.jpg
    Starter 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Starter2.jpg
    Starter2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Starter 3.jpg
    Starter 3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

march2009013-1.jpg

march2009023-2.jpg

here is mine the one is a top view

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes bowler, they appear to be wired correctly.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheers lads. Hopefully this will sort it.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

well,

new starter in and she started on a half turn after sitting for a week. deep joy to say the least.

cheers for all the advice gents.